How to approach a 3d turn-based management game with npc opponents?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 4 years, 10 months ago

Hi guys,

I am a complete beginner at game design, however, I've got some basic knowledge in both python and C++.
Yes, I know I may sound a little over-ambitious, but I want to build a 3-dimensional turn-based management game (with npc opponents).
I'm looking for advice on how to approach it through these questions:

- What programming language should I use for this type of game?
- Should I use a pre-built game engine or code one myself? Or is a game engine even necessary for a project like this?
- How hard would it be to create npc's opponents for a management game?

I don't mind hard-to-understand terminology, I'll look it up on google. :)
Thanks in advance!

~FortunePilot

Advertisement
On 6/5/2019 at 6:20 AM, FortunePilot said:

I know I may sound a little over-ambitious

It is a goal you can work toward, if you want.  Given your current skill level it is far beyond what you are likely to achieve, but as you work toward your goal you will learn a lot.  Hopefully you don't burn out in the process.

What programming language should I use for this type of game?

That doesn't really matter.  Use whatever languages you know.  If you know python and C++, use one of those.  Or learn something else if you prefer.

Should I use a pre-built game engine or code one myself? Or is a game engine even necessary for a project like this?

The project you describe would certainly be easier with an existing game engine. You'll be re-inventing a lot of excellent technology if you write it yourself, but you'll learn a lot in the process.

How hard would it be to create npc's opponents for a management game?

There is no good way to answer.  Perhaps: it will be 7 hard is a good answer?  Creating the core of a game takes time and effort.  Creating characters in game is one task.  Creating appropriate behaviors and actions for those characters is another task.  The difficulty of creating a single NPC AI is a rock in the mountain of effort you are facing.  With some tools the rock may be a pebble, with some tools the rock may be a boulder, but when you're looking at a mountain, an individual rock is a relatively small step.

I normally recommend beginners try to estimate what they can do in one month.  Then set out and do a one month project.  At the end of one month, critically evaluate what you have accomplished and how much you have learned and created.  Then put the project away, and start again another month on a completely unrelated, totally different project.  Repeat for several months until you learn what you can actually create in a month, and learn your own personal pace and abilities.

The challenges forum has some great ideas for those to help build up your skills and talents.

Good luck on your project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement