• Advertisement
flanplan

How do I get into voice acting for games?

Hello all! 

I have always been interested in doing voice acting, but it seems really difficult to get into. I have a quite strange voice which I have been told sounds similar to some cartoon characters, mostly Dendy from OK K.O who is played by Melissa Fahn. I'm capable of doing a wide range of voices, but I'm more so comfortable with upbeat characters. I am uploading a demonstration video to Youtube as I type this too! Any idea where to look/post about this??? I would really love to not only get my talents (and voice) out there but also help out some fellow game developers in the process. 

❤️ Thank you for reading  ❤️ 

Advertisement

The way to get voice acting jobs in games is to have a resume of professional voice acting in film, TV, whatever. What voice acting work have you done professionally? A lot of companies probably also expect you to be a member of SAG/AFTRA, the actors union.

1 minute ago, Tom Sloper said:

The way to get voice acting jobs in games is to have a resume of professional voice acting in film, TV, whatever. What voice acting work have you done professionally? A lot of companies probably also expect you to be a member of SAG/AFTRA, the actors union.

So far I've done no acting outside of my own personal endeavors. This is really good to know though, I'll check into that asap :D 

4 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Also, you have to live near where the recording is done. What city are you in?

I'm in Charlotte NC. I do have professional recording equipment from when I was making music though. 

28 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Your home studio is not good enough. There are some game companies in the Research Triangle area; see https://gamedevmap.com/

Seems the closest place to me is Atomic Games :o I think I might have better luck starting out with indie games given my lack of an extensive portfolio. Thank you for being so helpful ❤️ 

It's more specifically aimed at composers and sound designers, but our Music & Sound moderator has been sharing vlogs with advise and some of his experiences in the industry, and I think a lot of it will also be helpful for a voice artist: