Poll: How often do you buy the latest gaming PC?

Started by
13 comments, last by warhound 4 years, 7 months ago

Just wanting to know for performance purposes.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

Advertisement

My last build was .... (checks receipts)... holy crap... 5 years ago!!

I would say it was just below top of the line at the time (decent i7, r9 290).

I run all my games at 1440p on near max settings and I haven't really found a compelling reason to upgrade.

Might build a new machine next year for you though.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Thanks for the feedback.  So if I want to create a game for pc that people can actually run, then create a build that can run on ps4, and that's a good estimate.  Actually, why not just add graphics quality sliders?

I don't buy gaming PCs.  I buy work PCs, which I then use for gaming.

I tend to buy work PCs on a five year schedule.  But the work PC I bought last year is by far the most expensive computer I ever bought, so I expect it to last maybe twice as long.  And I still went with a fairly cheap graphics card, because the graphics card is near the bottom of my list of priorities.

My main work PC runs Linux.  My secondary work PC from 2012 also runs Linux.  I also have a Mac Mini from 2015, which I pretty much only use for testing the Mac version of my games and for GarageBand.

I do keep a Windows PC around, both for testing my own games and for general gaming.  Usually it's a retired work PC, but my last Windows PC died when I didn't have an old work PC available to retire, so I bought a cheap used PC in 2016.  I expect that used PC was at least five years old when I bought it.

TL;DR: my Windows gaming PC tends to be in the range of 5-15 years old, so about 10 years on average.

My PCs run Linux, They are 3 resp 6 years old and were built from components that where 1-2 years out at that time. I would describe them as upper mid range performance wise (i5, 8GB, GTX 660 and i7, 16GB, GTX970).

I won't buy something new in the next 1-2 years. I will not spend for example 1000,- on a graphics card that i'd expect to be 2-3 times faster than the one i have now. For that, i don't game enough.

When Skyrim came out, i took that as an excuse to buy a new computer. It hasn't survived due to corrosive environment :-/. Won't do it again just for gaming ?

I never buy new PCs. I always upgrade my existing ones every 4 years. And i most likely just upgrade the graphics card or the memory only. In very rare circumstances, i will buy a full-upgrade for one system with the newest components - which fits in a price range (~1500 bucks).

To give an example: 

Just half a year ago i swapped out every component of my HDPC (i5 2500k, GTX 650 TI, SATA SSDs) with a i7 8086k with a GTX 1060. Reasons:

Gaming performance was not that great

- Full-HD movies was not playing smoothly at all times

- Video encoding was slow like hell

- Wanted to use modern game engines on my HDPC as well

I will expect this system to last at least 3-4 years.

I have only bought a whole new PC twice in my life, when I left home for college, and when my computer got mostly damaged and it was only a little bit extra to buy all the parts for a whole new one.

Buying a PC is not something normal for like buying a console is. Every few years I buy new parts. I'll often buy the MB, CPU and RAM all together, but that's usually the most I'll get at one time.

This current build, minus the video cards, was last upgraded almost seven years ago. I've not had any issues playing the latest games. The one that hurt the most recently was the latest Deus Ex, but when I got new video cards there wasn't a problem anymore.

I never buy "the latest" gaming PC - not interested in playing the super-demanding AAA games. However, I do usually buy a new PC every 3 or 4 years, aiming for relatively new components across the board. My current system which I bought this year is an AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 graphics, and this one is a bit above the spec I would have previously bought.

If you're wondering what hardware to target for your game, you can use Steam's hardware survey.

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement