Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterGoid

How do I make my game an exe. file

MisterGoid    122
I have a game that I have created, how do I make it so that other people without VisualC++ on their computer can play my game too. Basically how do I convert my Win32 Application into an executable file. Any answers, websites, or tutorials would be much appreciated. Thank you

Ultima7    122
Um, C++ is not an interpreted language. If you''re running your game on your own computer, then there is already an EXE ready for you. It should be in your project directory when on default settings.

Drizzt DoUrden    100
lolololol.

When you build your file, you can chose Release or Debug. If you chose Debug, the .exe will be in the folder of your project. If you chose Release, I think there should either be a Release folder created, or a .exe will just appear.

REALMLORD    122
what you have to do is open up the project work space and then click on the tab build at the top the a list will appear click on set active configuration and click on the Win32 release then rebuild and compile the programme then in your work space folder you will have a .exe file.

i hope this has helped

I am "BORG" resistance is futile

a person    118
or RTFM!
oops forgot a silly comment.
its pretty amazing you were able to code a game and not know a darn thing about c/c++ (face it not knowing that c/c++ is not interperetive when there is an option called compile is pretty said). in fact ALL books and classes will mention this fact.

Edited by - a person on December 9, 2001 12:06:27 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
nah, not that amazing. I''m a very talented and moderately skilled programmer (no too humble though) but truthfully I don''t really know that much about the tools that I am using. Still, I know where to find the exe and how to make a release version. If you can''t find the exe, how are you going to put other files in your game? They go in the project folder, at least that''s where I throw them.

MisterGoid    122
I wasn''t talking about compiling or anything like that, but I did phrase the question wrong. I was looking for a installation creator. but I found one called Setup Factory. thanks for all the help though, but I asked the wrong question. You''re all right though, if I didn''t know how to compile or what happens when i compiled.... I''d be a moron. later

BaShildy    122
You scared me too, i was shocked you were able to program something as complex as a whole game and not understand the executables, and your IDE. The current instalation utility i use is InnoSetup, look for it on google. If you use their wizard, you can hack together a installer in less then a minute. I was shocked when i had my multi-directory 400+ file game''s installer working in 2 minutes, and all the extras like a readme, program file group, desktop item, quick launch bar, copyright information, and end user license agreement done within 5 minutes! Its freeware, and its scripting language is as simple as BASIC.

Code comment of the week:
bool hack = false; // DO NOT CHANGE THIS EVER

a person    118
better idea, just zip it up. installers are lame and creat clutter. just mage sure you ondt modify the registry or any system files (whichyou shoudl not do in a game or most programs). installing via zip is much easier (you can also make self extracting zips which i hate but some ppl like) also zip zupport is built into winme so its not a problem extracting them even for a newbie computer user.

Sturm    124
Just want to make a note here I case anyone actually pay attention.

quote:

just zip it up. installers are lame and creat clutter

I guess that you only make one exe programs containing internal decencies. But some of us actually want to make sure that our games/programs run. So we need reg settings and system dependent setup, I also check for minimum requirements. I do everything in small (more or less) modules and during install only those that your system need will be installed. Also things like media (Movies, Music) should always be optional components to install.

You can use Windows Installer 2, which (AFAIK) you can get from MSDN. Otherwise I would suggest InstallShield a great tool to create installation programs.

-- Sturm

---------------------------------------------------
Life after death? No thanks, I want to live NOW
--- Sturm 2001

Edited by - Sturm on December 10, 2001 3:59:59 PM

MisterGoid    122
Thanks for the help on where to look, I''m trying multiple things..... right now I''m using Setup Factory 5.0 (sharware) it''s pretty nice.... I''ll definitely look into the other programs you suggested.

dirkduck    122
you could also get ''install maker'' from www.clickteam.com, it has a little add for them at the end, but it works good and is easy to use

McDougal...DUCK McDougal

Sam Gamgee    222
Yeah...I use Install Maker too from www.clickteam.com and I haven't had any problems with it! It's free too.

-Sam.

http://waltsgames.iwarp.com

Edited by - Sam Gamgee on December 10, 2001 5:49:09 PM

Kylotan    9860
You may also want to try NSIS: the Nullsoft (SuperPiMP|Scriptable) Install System at http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/. I''ve heard good things about it, and installed software before, but not used it to package anything myself.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]