• Advertisement
SnowFox

Invest time in a Portfolio Site early?

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone had some pointers regarding making portfolio sites. I've done some research on the fundamentals and am currently experimenting with web layouts.

My main concern is that maybe I'm doing this too early? I already have an itch.io site with a few games and prototypes posted. My problem with itch.io is that it doesn't feel quite professional enough (even though I'm not a professional either, hypocrite). But I feel I could organize my projects a lot better if I made my own site, separate prototypes from finished games and whatnot. 

For a guy who's just starting to code and make games, is it wise to invest time in creating a portfolio site? 

Advertisement

It's not too early. Build it, and they will come. (Or not.) Moving this to the Careers board.

Why don't you create a GitHub account and host all your code on there?

To answer your question, in my opinion, you should always have some way to show what work you have done, and you should be proud to show off everything that you have completed (notice I said the word completed).

If you decide to work for someone and they ask to see some work that you have done, it's quite nice to be able to pull out your mobile device or laptop and present to them what you have done. Even if you don't have a running build on your machine you can record a quick demo of what you have done and host it on GitHub, you can even link the recording within the README file.

There are other ways of hosting mind you, I have just listed what I personally prefer, you should research this yourself to see what would best fit your needs.

I like GitHub and it's free, even if M$ now runs the show I'm willing to forgo that.

7 minutes ago, Daniel Ricci said:

and you should be proud to show off everything that you have completed

Just an added note here, you should only show off quality code (your best work), not everything you've completed.