Creating a team for an old school FPS (Dusk, AMID, DOOM alike)

Started by
12 comments, last by Augustin Liglet 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm a programmer and craving to create an old school FPS that is fun for the core mechanic of shooting and movement.

I'm looking for team members with art, music, writing, ... skills. If you'd like to collaborate, send me your discord or skype contact and I'll add you.

Let's have fun!

Advertisement

I tried playing Doom recently, but I miss mouse aiming. I tried to run open arena on Lubuntu on an old notebook which runs TuX Kart just fine, but arena crashes. I may need to run it from console? Maybe you (as a programmer) can update that ioquake project to the standards of Super Tux Kart?

Hey, 

Music composer here from the times of counter strike 1.6 !

I'll be glad to help

Hi, thanks for the replies and all the messages,

I'm still open for artist, game designers, writers,..

Arnero, I only run linux on servers, I don't have any linux hardware for gaming, hence I can't really investigate your issue. Have you considered to go the official way and report it via: https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/issues ? I'm sure the devs might know best what possible issues might cause the crash. Yeah, Doom controls are a bit dated, but it's still amazing to be able to play one of the oldest shooters. I guess my goal is more Quake than Doom, but I'll mix and match features as the team will decide.

Mamounetaleb, thanks for your help offer. When I'm down to add music to the game, I'll definitely consider you. Do you have a portfolio you could link?

Thanks again everyone!

Hey,

You can have a look at my Portfolio here : 

I also have a youtube channel driven more toward action music that you check here :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFNKA865NAZ5tgFT3sahVWg

On 7/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, ProfL said:

Hi, thanks for the replies and all the messages,

I'm still open for artist, game designers, writers,..

Arnero, I only run linux on servers, I don't have any linux hardware for gaming, hence I can't really investigate your issue. Have you considered to go the official way and report it via: https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/issues ? I'm sure the devs might know best what possible issues might cause the crash. Yeah, Doom controls are a bit dated, but it's still amazing to be able to play one of the oldest shooters. I guess my goal is more Quake than Doom, but I'll mix and match features as the team will decide.

Mamounetaleb, thanks for your help offer. When I'm down to add music to the game, I'll definitely consider you. Do you have a portfolio you could link?

Thanks again everyone!

I've downloaded ioq3 also on windows, but was not motivated to install the old package. I just wonder, if you need art, why not use the open arena art? I mean, I could try a new ioq3 and load the open arena levels with it. Maybe it is all done already. I do not understand why you reinvent the wheel. Most fun for most people would be achived by resurecting open arena.
Anyways either lubuntu or the old notebook is crap. The file explorer needs to be started twice to show contents of a folder. I did not install linux only to need to solve so many problems. I also did not understand how to add tux to the start menu. Back to windows..

Hi,

Mamounetaleb, your music sounds really epic! I really like it.

Arnero, I already work with dummy art, but that's obviously not how I'd release a game. I guess those 'people' that would have most fun with open arena is you ;) But if every dev would only follow this guide, we wouldn't have all the other fun shooters. Thus, I don't mean to clone a game, but rather create a game with a shooter feeling alike these old ones. (Imagine humans have had stopped to produce wheels, because there was already one :P )

Thanks for your replies!

002.thumb.png.d537401a51727e0541f1df46662a0f2b.png

some unreal engine (1) style texture filtering is in.

Game designer who loves old shooters and wants to make one so bad hed frag himself.

Twice.

I secondary as a 3d artist and have some 2d art skills as well

Still looking for a writer? I'd be more than happy to lend my services to you. Message me or reply if interested. I'll provide any proof of work I've done (story writing, lore etc) should you need it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement