Web programmer looking to contribute

Started by
6 comments, last by arnero 4 years, 9 months ago

Introduction:

My passion is web programming. Unity is so popular these days, but I am looking for amateur web projects that need programmers. I believe web is the king of gaming because it doesn't require any dangerous exe or apk files and can be shared with a short url. The limitation is, of course, file size--no one wants to open a web page that is 10 MB in size.

I'd like to contribute to something like Browser Quest (an RPG), LittleWarGame (an RTS) or perhaps a turn based game.

My Languages:

• Javascript (ECMA6 transpiled)
  • CSS (or SASS)
  • PHP
  • MySQL

I can share examples of my coding privately. My programming level is somewhere past beginner and miles before expert.

Project Requirements:

• Frontend or backend developer needed
  • Game Design Document fully fleshed out
  • Substantial art work already completed (optional)
  • Reasonable scale: if a working game can't be put together in a week, experience tells me it is never going to get done.

If your project sounds like it could possibly benefit, feel free to post or send me a private message with some basic information.

One last note is that because of my locale, I do not use Discord, Facebook or any Google services. I prefer email or Microsoft's Skype.

I look forward to making a contribution. Thank you.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Euthyphro said:

The limitation is, of course, file size--no one wants to open a web page that is 10 MB in size.

I'd like to contribute to something like Browser Quest (an RPG), LittleWarGame (an RTS) or perhaps a turn based game.

These games have youtube videos, nice. I wonder if they are made using html for the tiles? With overflow:visible. Or do you plan to go full canvas and WebGl? The latter might be important for the art format. The browser chaches images. So if someone plays regularly the download gets faster. Also I would put the assets on an html endpoint to save some CPU power and to allow for CDN later. I would love to see a statistic about browser cache effeciency for your game. HTML has a z coordinate, but needs tricks because it has no z-buffer ?

Since the game logic runs on the server (like in any other network game thanks to the cheaters), we do only need to download the art. Youtube streams full screen videos. Are you using websockets? Turn based games turn me down .. ah at least you would have to implement the chat using websockets.

You mention JavaScript. I would propose to use node.js then. They have threads now (worker threads). So a nice playground for user affinity of threads. Everbody has its agent in the cloud. Prediction on the client could use the same code.

Sorry for thread-jacking.

I am familiar with node.js and websockets. Canvas works almost anywhere now, so that is preferred. Only a sadist would make a game where the character is a div floating across the screen.

The browser can cache a 10+ MB page just fine, but I can't afford to host it with a hobby budget (assuming more than a few people want to play the game).

On 7/11/2019 at 4:20 PM, arnero said:

using html for the tiles

So I quote myself because I was (also and offline) thinking about my post and got angry replies in such a case when I quoted someone else, sigh -- on reddit so yeah anyways. I've used some HTML with small SVG mixed in. HTML is so .. boxy. Anyways that worked quite okay. So I would try to use small WebGl canvases for each figure that can rotate and overlay them over HTML. For the covered (overlap in x,y, and z) background tiles I would preload the z-buffer in the WebGl canvas.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, Euthyphro said:

The browser can cache a 10+ MB page just fine, but I can't afford to host it with a hobby budget (assuming more than a few people want to play the game).

I just looked it up in google. CDN for image seems to be free. I mean reddit loads it user content from youtube and imgur (or so?). Why can't we do it too? It starts to cost once we make money or are more than 10 people or so.  I just find it scary that the CDNs want to "optimize" the images.

1 hour ago, arnero said:

I just looked it up in google. CDN for image seems to be free. I mean reddit loads it user content from youtube and imgur (or so?). Why can't we do it too? It starts to cost once we make money or are more than 10 people or so.  I just find it scary that the CDNs want to "optimize" the images.

Of course we can, however some CDNs don't actually fulfill their purpose and are not available internationally. I am in Asia, and, for example, Cloudflare loads so slow, I don't even go to websites that use it anymore.

Do you have a personal project, or are you a fellow web programmer looking for a project?

http://js13kgames.com/

Also, this contest looks fun.

I did asp.net mvc, had to certificate for Core, and for the next months must do classic asp.net ?  I need a side hustle to stay sane. So I am researching..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement