Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmsixpence

D3D8 Problem, need help from xperts

I started working with d3d8 after getting used to d3d7im. Eventually, i figured i needed a good engine to work with so i started one with a CPrimitive3D class that draws points, triangles(tris), squares(which i call quads) and cubes. I got points up and running easily. Triangles and quads took a little work but i got them up within a week. Now for cubes. I tried a bunch of methods. Indexed primitives confused me so i skipped them. Instead, i tried doing on big triangle strip but that didn''t work either. Eventually, i decided i would create one vertex buffer that would hold 6 faces, 2 triangles in each. It would drawprimitive a triangle strip 6 times, calling each face once. It worked, but the problem I got though is that faces overlap each other. ZBuffering is set. Cullmode is CW. I can''t figure it out. Should i try doing the testing of which to draw first by hand, doing a million calculations? or should i create multiply vertex buffers because i think i might of heard that zbuffering and culling and such only works on a single vertex buffer so the individual vertices won''t be affected. Is that correct? Can zome1 help me plz?

or jsut use the D3DXCreate* set of functions. you can create boxes (which are cubes), spheres and other assorted simple geometry. also, just to let you know, everyone calls to triangles together to form a rectangular polygon, a quad. since they are obviusly not squares (since they can be rectangles) and they are not rectangles (since they can have non 90 corners)

That''s what the''yre called in the engine. I didn''t want to compare it to opengl quads. I do have 6 quads, 4 vertices in each, rendering each one as a triangle fan. They are all in one vertex buffer. I don''t know why they draw in the order you draw them. I thought d3d8 could do the math for you to order the scene. Is that normal? Also, i looked into the d3dxcreatebox function already and I didn''t want to use it because i like to create stuff by myself. I wouldn''t learn anything if i just used that function.