Looking for real world perspective on AI Programming

Started by
5 comments, last by IADaveMark 4 years, 9 months ago

Hello!  In an effort to gather real world perspective, in your experience, what technical skills are most valuable for a video game AI Programmer?  Do you have any recommendation of activities to further develop these skills?

Thanks for sharing!

Advertisement

You need to make games with AI in it. Simple as that.

I recommend you get some relevant books - Game AI Pro, AI Programming Wisdom, Articifial Intellience and Games, etc - and make the stuff you read about.

You can also get hold of the UE4 engine today and experiment with the Behavior Tree system - but be aware that a behaviour tree is only a small part of AI. That's why it's good to read books to get an overview.

I would also recommend reading this beginner's guide to AI in games, but I'm biased because I wrote it.

Game AI and AI Science are different areas.

For Game AI use "Programming game AI by example"

http://www.ai-junkie.com/books/toc_pgaibe.html

I know you asked for "technical skills", but TBH, one of the most under-recognized skills for an AI programmer is thinking about behavior rather than code. That said, there is serious room for an AI programmer vs. an AI designer. In fact, I would suggest that there is a difference between and AI architect and an AI programmer. You don't have to be a killer programmer to be an AI architect... just know how it all fits together on the higher level to serve the needs. Similarly, an AI designer tends to work more with the behavior data and crafting how it is working on-screen. It certainly helps to have programming skills in both of those, but they pair well with a true "AI programmer".

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Thank you all for your responses!  IADaveMark thank you for information on AI Programmer vs. AI Architect and Designer.  I haven't yet come across anything that differentiated specializations within AI Programming but you make a good point and leave room for thought.  

To be fair, an "AI Designer" is more designer than programmer. However, a lot of designers can't handle thinking in the manner that is necessary for crafting AI behaviors. Think of it as a technical specialty like a "technical artist" is. Yes, an artist but with a particularly technical bent.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement