I need my projector to project the WHOLE Starcraft map at once...

Started by
11 comments, last by StarcraftRoboticsGuy 4 years, 9 months ago

I recently got a projector off Amazon, and I've had this idea kicking around in the back of my head driving me crazy. It's so simple it's elegant.

In a typical game of starcraft, for example, you'll of course be familiar with how the battlefield is typically viewed on a computer monitor, which invariably ends up being a smaller portion of a much larger battlefield terrain.

What I'd like to do is simple, but I don't know how to get it done, technically speaking.

I want to have my projector project the whole battlefield at once, rather than a limited portion of it. Presto! Tabletop starcraft! Now if I could just get it to project the whole map...

Any suggestions?

Founder of Techstrordinaire!

Advertisement

Is starcraft open source?

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

9 minutes ago, StarcraftRoboticsGuy said:

I recently got a projector off Amazon, and I've had this idea kicking around in the back of my head driving me crazy. It's so simple it's elegant.

In a typical game of starcraft, for example, you'll of course be familiar with how the battlefield is typically viewed on a computer monitor, which invariably ends up being a smaller portion of a much larger battlefield terrain.

What I'd like to do is simple, but I don't know how to get it done, technically speaking.

I want to have my projector project the whole battlefield at once, rather than a limited portion of it. Presto! Tabletop starcraft! Now if I could just get it to project the whole map...

Any suggestions?

Not possible unless you can mod the game by changing up the camera.

9 minutes ago, Pepsidog said:

Is starcraft open source?

No, Starcraft is not open source. You can purchase the remastered version through Blizzard, but they do offer the non-remastered version for free through their BATTLE.NET client.

Programmer and 3D Artist

If there's no modding SDK, then there's no real way.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

hmm...

@StarcraftRoboticsGuy Did you check the cheats?

(Single player only) Open chat <enter key> - black sheep wall - <enter key to activate> 

reveals the entire map.

reference: https://www.ign.com/wikis/starcraft/PC_Cheats

3 hours ago, GoliathForge said:

reveals the entire map.

I think that means "removes fog of war" and not "zooms out the map".

@StarcraftRoboticsGuy Are you trying to project the running game, or do you just need a map? If the latter, you can probably find images of whole Starcraft maps online.

10 hours ago, StarcraftRoboticsGuy said:

I want to have my projector project the whole battlefield at once

Apart from the problem, that the software (Starcraft) does not offer you this option, don't forget, that your projector has a limited resolution. So in general, if you have a monitor and a projector with the same resolution, the only difference (besides the image quality) is, that you can choose with a projector how large each pixel is. So you can't show the whole map without a huge loss of detail.

Greetings

Yes but let's just suppose that I was projecting a video replay of a game... Now I could project that whole map as a replay, right? So, now I'm thinking, what I'd need to do is find a way to get a live game screen captured, and have that screen capture whisked off to be rendered for the projector display, sort of like a replay in rendered in real time.

Do you follow? Think that could work?

Founder of Techstrordinaire!

4 minutes ago, StarcraftRoboticsGuy said:

Yes but let's just suppose that I was projecting a video replay of a game... Now I could project that whole map as a replay, right? So, now I'm thinking, what I'd need to do is find a way to get a live game screen captured, and have that screen capture whisked off to be rendered for the projector display, sort of like a replay in rendered in real time.

Do you follow? Think that could work?

...... what?

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement