Advice for Character/Story writing

Started by
7 comments, last by mangoGameDevTools 4 years, 3 months ago

Hi, my name is Ken. I'm getting close to graduating with a degree in game development. My studies have covered a broad range of industry topics related to game design but one area that I am very interested in that has not had much mention is writing. I would very much like to be involved in such things as game world development, story writing, lore writing, character development, dialogue and character interactions and so on. 

What would be the best way to showcase these kinds of skills in my game design portfolio? Or what is the best way to demonstrate these kinds of skills to a potential employer? 

Advertisement

The best way to build a portfolio is to write and publish books or short stories. Traditional publising is a bit hard, but you can use a blog or something, or auto publish with Amazon Kindle. I think I have a few articles in my blog about writing for games, specifically for RPGs.

5 hours ago, rogerdv said:

The best way to build a portfolio is to write and publish books or short stories.

Or screenplays, comics, etc.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi guys, 

Thank you for the replies, and the advice. Those are some great suggestions. I had been thinking about including short stories or some type of blog in my portfolio, but I had not thought of Kindle. Nice!

The best way is to write a game. There are a ton of simple-to-use narrative game engines out there: Ink (from Inkle), ChoiceScript, Twine, etc., etc.

Michael A. - Software Engineer, moonlighting as a game developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

The best way is to write a game. There are a ton of simple-to-use narrative game engines out there: Ink (from Inkle), ChoiceScript, Twine, etc., etc.

A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

The best way is to write a game. There are a ton of free and easy-to-use narrative game engines out there, from Ink (Inkle), Twine, ChoiceScript, etc., etc.

A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

You can create “visual novels” or just make a simple rpg game.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement