Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sflare

max number of hardware lights?

my current video card (tnt2 m64) can use up to 1 hardware light ing directx 8, i plan to buy a newer video card because mine breaks my computer all the time thanks to d3d8 i was just wonder if anyone knows the number of hardware lights that can be active for various video card hardware? i know all what the dxcaps are for video cards from an online dxcaps database but it doesn''t show anything on lights some cards like geforce2 mx (200,400), geforce 2 gts, or somekind of ati card. i won''t be buying a very expensive card like geforce 3. i''m not sure but i think i read some where that the max was 8 is this right? what if you need more? would you need to make your own lighting using vertex shaders?

if the card dont have hardwrae TnL (like your tnt) it does NO hardware lights at all. if the card HAS hardware TnL then ussually the max hardware lights is 8.

you can do yoru own lighting using vertex shaders (one nvida demo shows using 17 point lights all in hardware). typically though 8 lights should be plenty for any scene (remeber thsi is per frame not for the entire level as you move around you can not bother with lights that would not affect the view). also level lighting that is not dynamic can be done using lightmaping since its much more accurate then normal vertex lighting (since you get ray trace quality lighting for the level (radiosity/soft shadows)).

just remember that more lights you have the more it will slow your stuff down.

ok than,

but with that vertex shader light example,
are they done in hardware using pre-geforce 3 hardware or with the cpu?