Unity or Unreal Engine?

Started by
4 comments, last by Alberth 4 years, 8 months ago

I am a beginner in game development, but would like to create a small game that I would work on for a hobby.  I cannot choose between the 2 game engines, Unity and Unreal.  I have looked at both of them, and they both seem very good for beginners.  It is only me working on this game.  Ill tell a bit of information about my game, so if any of you have advice on which engine I should use.  My "game" will mainly be artwork.  Lots of foliage.  Trees, plants, and bushes, etc.  I am not very good at code right at the moment.  The main thing I need my game to have is excellent graphics, and performance.  The game will be first person, in a forest I will try to make as realistic as possible.  For a lot of the game development will probably be drag and drop honestly, if I can get some nice realistic trees and such.  I have some of my own 3d models, and my own terrain I would like to import also, to make my world look as realistic as possible.  I may also turn it into some post-apocalyptic peaceful type of game, just because I enjoy building that type of stuff.  I will not release the game out to the public, because there is no point in the game.  I just want to design my own beautiful world, on my off time.  I think it would be a pretty cool thing, and I am aware it will take a TON of work, still.  I wrote all this fast and am most likely not writing enough information, I will be glad to answer any if your questions asap.  Thank you!

Advertisement
2 hours ago, COLTON_CJF said:

I cannot choose between the 2 game engines, Unity and Unreal.

My advice is to just download both engines and give them a try. Beyond that it depends on personal taste, and your experience.

I've made games in both engines and they both have their pros and cons. If you don't have a lot of coding experience then I would suggest just picking up Unreal Engine and learning Blueprints. You'll find a lot of artists and designers like working in this environment.

Good luck.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You should really use both and see which one works for you, i'm currently learning unreal engine so i might be biased :). 

For what you want to do (foliage), i think unreal has the better system or so have heard, and you lets be honest it is the most powerful engine, and its going to give you the most realistic view you can get.

You should also post the specs of your pc, as unreal needs a power system to run it, especially the latest versions.

Cheers Mate.

Same! Just started my journey and got both of them to learn right away. Sometimes it gets confusing, but I'm sure you'll be able to make it through!

Peace out!

On 7/28/2019 at 9:02 PM, COLTON_CJF said:

I will not release the game out to the public, because there is no point in the game.

That kind of games have a name: Sandbox games. You'll be surprised how many of those exist :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement