Where to start to learn how to create games?

Started by
14 comments, last by 8Observer8 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello!
Guys, I'm completely new and want to learn how to create games, for example racing games
Tell me where to start to learn?

Advertisement

you can start with unity , download it and go to youtube search for tutorials and learn the basics

Thanks for sending me where to start.

If you want to use Unity Engine, might I recommend a course on Udemy.com? 

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

This is a course I’ve personally taken, and it teaches you the basics in a very engaging and fun way. 

The price might look a bit intimidating, but Udemy frequently has sales for their courses. I got this course for as little as 11$. 

Highly recommended for starting out!

Adam Mason Wong

Pick a game engine, there is unity, unreal engine and Godot.

I currently use unreal engine, but from what I've heard unity is more user friendly.

If you want to use unreal engine, check out https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtusEdu.

He has awesome tutorials for it.

Good luck.

Good question

I would like to see where this goes

Doug

Let me preface this by saying I'm new to this site and forum, so I'm sure there will be loads of better advice from those that have browsed the site more as well as from those that just overall have way more knowledge on the matter buuuttt,

As far as Unity goes, Brakeys channel on youtube is pretty great lol It depends on the type of game you want to make as well. I have no experience with Unity as far as top-down 2d goes but Godot is really flexible and I believe Unity has a similar workflow for 2d. Unreal's paper 2d is relatively intuitive to work with as well. If you have no experience coding then both Unity and Unreal would be great to start with since they have blueprint style game creation (admittedly, unity is easier to navigate when new to the scene - from my experience at least xD). Unity is extended through C# while Unreal is extended through C++, Godot I believe uses it's own scripting language iirc (havent used godot yet) so if you are learning coding, that could also influence your decision. 

As for other tools, I prefer GIMP and Blender for asset creation, texturing, sculpting, meshes and the like. What tools you use are up to you in all honesty though -> i.e. whatever you feel comfortable with and fits your workflow. 

NOTE: for like 2d games and the like, GIMP, Tiled, SuperTiled2Unity, and Texture Packer provide a neat little workflow setup for asset creation and importing into Unity.   <- personal opinion, super subjective lol

Unreal has a very well documented engine, unity is well documented too, but Unreal just looks and seems better documented in my opinion. Regardless though, both are really good; going forward make a basic, very simple racing prototype in multiple engines and see which feels best for you and go from there. Just like programming is about choosing a language best suited for the task, I personally feel it's the same for game engines where game design and creative/work flows come in. 

Best of Luck Though!!!  

Edit: Also, having a source control helps sooo much for working on updates without breaking the main branch as well as just in general having copies of files on a cloud based server and a local drive. I had a hard drive failure not too long ago and lost a lot of local projects that I hadn't pushed to Github; lesson learned here is whatever you change, push to a source control like Git or Perforce -> if its still a Work in Progress, just make a new branch that doesn't affect your main branch and so forth. Anyways this has been a lil wordy, sorry for that!

Godot is fully open source and C++. There are two scripting languages, default is the python-esque godot script, optionally there is a C# version through mono develop. For now, MS has guaranteed not to execute its rights on its parts of mono. But godot script is probably the more future proof version ...

On 8/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, vicodescity said:

Pick a game engine, there is unity, unreal engine and Godot.

I currently use unreal engine, but from what I've heard unity is more user friendly.

If you want to use unreal engine, check out https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtusEdu.

He has awesome tutorials for it.

Good luck.

Also i used Godot a while back, its main scripting language is gdscript, which is basically python, but with some elements of c++ here and there such as defining variables and types.

It also has its own visual scripting but, i didn't really use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement