Creating a dev log in mid development?

Started by
4 comments, last by SnowFox 4 years, 8 months ago

Hello!

So, I’ve been working on a game for GDWC and I’m about a couple months in development. The deadline is September so I still have time.

I realized a bit late that I could have been working on a Dev log along with it. 

Is it too late to start? How would I go about doing that mid development?

Adam Mason Wong

Advertisement

It's not too late.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

38 minutes ago, SnowFox said:

How would I go about doing that mid development?

Just start?

Introduce your project, say what the current status is and move on as you would normally. Maybe say something on what made you decide to start a log now, etc.

Hello to all my stalkers.

I think a better question to ask is "why should I start a dev log?"

Are you trying to use it to market your game? Does this mean you're going to sell it commercially?

Are you trying to share developer insights into game production?

Is it just a "requirement" you think you need to satisfy to launch your game? (it isn't)

I've done dev logs about my own game development and one thing I've learned is that it takes a lot of time to write them up. Even on a monthly basis, it can take a whole afternoon -- which could be spent making the game instead. Choose your dev log frequency and length carefully :)

23 hours ago, slayemin said:

I think a better question to ask is "why should I start a dev log?"

That's a fair question. I'm new to making games so I guess I'm just trying everything to gain attention. 

Here's the thing, I don't really think I'm going to release it commercially. My main goal was to get it good enough to publish on a hosting sight like Armor Games or something like that. 

The other thing is that I'm trying to build a portfolio for myself for potential work in the future, and I've been told that devlogs are a good way to show your progress and such.

I guess really, I don't know why :(. I'm honestly happy just coding and making the game on its own, but I thought a weekly log would be worth investing time into. 

Adam Mason Wong

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement