Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system in Unreal Engine 4.

Started by
6 comments, last by vicodescity 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey guys a newbie game dev here. 

I was wondering if the totally awesome nemesis system for middle earth shadow of mordor was possible with unreal engine 4. I plan on making a game soon that has a MUCH SIMPLER version of it.

Also which would be better for it? Blueprints or c++.

I would really appreciate it if you could break it down into multiple concepts for a mere beginner such as myself :).

Advertisement

What pieces of it do you want to replicate?  If you tell us which exact concepts you want to achieve, we'll know what information would be useful for you.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Mainly how the enemies are able to remember you, and also I want the enemies that survive to be immune to the previous weapons I fought them with (not interested in the deep hierarchy system that goes on in the game).

Just those two features will be enough.

For creating a nemesis semi-randomly, there are two ways of selecting said nemesis: before the fight (if [RandNum] commander is defeated, becomes nemesis), and during/after the fight (if player performs [awesome maneuver], target becomes nemesis). For caching reasons, I recommend the pre-selection method because the game keeps a small set of logs instead of logging everything to keep up with what the player does.

For "remembering the player," knowing what you'll want the nemesis to say will help you figure out what variables to keep logged.  I.e., "Remember when we fought in {Map Name] and you set me on fire?" "Remember when we fought in [Map Name] and you threw me?"
The code would look ballpark-ish to
mapmemory = mapID
if statusailment == true
     battlememory = statusID
if maneuvergroup == true
     battlememory = maneuverID
weaponmemory = weaponID

Then, when he pops up as the nemesis, you incorporate mapmemory, battlememory, and weaponmemory into his speech and stats.
Granted, you likely won't end up using those exact variable names, but hopefully, you get the idea.

Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Thanks, i get the idea, but could you go a little deeper in what the concept of the battlememory and maneuver (specifically) would accomplish

"Battlememory" as a variable is simply a way of logging an event for the nemesis to recall later.  The "maneuver" variable is meant for "remember when you did [that awesome thing]?"  Once you make some attacks/animations that look spectacular, you tag them as part of the "manuevergroup" which triggers the nemesis to log it if it happens.
It can also come in handy if you want the nemesis to have counters to the attack instead of immunity to the weapon.

Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

? Thanks, now it's clear, although I would rather start with just immunity to the weapon, then when am experienced enough I will add the counter system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement