Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ybkezada

Any free Visual compiler?

You won''t find ''Visual C++'' for free (legally), as it is a commercial product. But if you are looking for a good C++ compiler, I would recommend MinGW. As for the visual part, you can get a nice IDE for it.

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
This raises an interesting point, though... it seems that more and more people are assuming that the language is called "Visual C++" - a sign of pretty damn good advertising by Microsoft! Or is it?

I notice people doing it a lot too. I''ll always point out that there is no such language as Visual C++. How people get the impression that the language is Visual C++? I''m not sure. There''s plenty of compilers and books out there to give them other false conceptions.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

quote:
Original post by ybkezada
that''s right Oluseyi, I''m looking for a Visual compiler for the C++ programming language...

There''s no such thing as a "visual compiler"; the visual aspect of development is called an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), and many can be used with different compilers. A good free one is Dev-C++, available at www.bloodshed.net, which integrates well with both the MinGW and Borland command-line compilers.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

quote:

There's no such thing as a "visual compiler"

What about LabView?

quote:

I know, the thing that I don't know is, how can I design a windows window? like Visual Basic or something...

You wouldn't - you'd use notepad and make files.

I hear good things about mingw and Dev C++.

A beginers edition of Visual C++ comes with "Tricks of the Windows Game Programing Gurus"

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you've never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on December 10, 2001 12:22:30 PM

Yes, listen to the people that tell you to use Dev-C++ with the mingw compiler. You might as well get used to the idea of coding a window rather than just drawing it (no offense to any VBers here), read the tutorials on my page or read through the game programing genesis here or read any number of other tutorials on basic windows programming.

As I''ve spoken with Martee about, there is a way to get an older version of VB "free," and it says it''s available for academic use... but I wouldn''t trust that, and since it sounds pretty sketchy to me I won''t post a link.

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
http://0to1.org
http://www20.brinkster.com/draqza

quote:
Original post by ybkezada
that''s right Oluseyi, I''m looking for a Visual compiler for the C++ programming language...

That''s the most funny thing I''ve heard in a while. First of all, the compilers aren''t what''s refered to as Visual, it''s the IDE. Second, Visual compilers as far as I know, are inventions from newbies. It''s like saying that Visual C++ is a langage, which is wrong. Visual C++ is the IDE, C/C++ is the langage, learn before asking questions...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com

quote:
Original post by Cyberdrek
Visual C++ is the IDE, C/C++ is the langage, learn before asking questions...

I thought it was learn by asking questions. An attitude like that is what keeps people from asking questions and learning, becuase they''re afraid of getting flamed by people like you.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
[quote]Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
What about LabView?

LabView is not a general-purpose programming language, and is therefore disqualified from consideration.

I think Prograph would qualify.

Sanscrit might qualify, but I think it''s really a visual ide / script language on top of C.

Neither is particularly attractive as a language. Most visual languages suffer from screen clutter once the program gets beyond a certain complexity.

HTH

quote:
Original post by Cyberdrek
[quote]Original post by ybkezada

That''s the most funny thing I''ve heard in a while. First of all, the compilers aren''t what''s refered to as Visual, it''s the IDE. Second, Visual compilers as far as I know, are inventions from newbies. It''s like saying that Visual C++ is a langage, which is wrong. Visual C++ is the IDE, C/C++ is the langage, learn before asking questions...

Ok guys, I had a bad syntax, I know there''s no Visual compilers, It was about 12:00 AM when I was writting that!

I said what I''m looking fot, something like VB...

Sorry if I had bad syntax, I don''t know speak english at all ok?

quote:
How people get the impression that the language is Visual C++? I''m not sure.

It could be a product of how they are taught. My community college C++ class (which was not listed as a Visual C++ specific class in the catalog)used VC++ as the IDE. No mention was ever made of alternative compilers, debuggers, or editors. The pre-requisite for the class was advanced C, which in turn required a passing grade in beginning C, and they all used MSVC++. 95% of the people who passed all three classes could not write a simple makefile or name a single common command-line compile option. Especially in the C++ class, we learned the Microsoft-specific way of doing things as opposed to the C++ standard.

Sean

quote:
Especially in the C++ class, we learned the Microsoft-specific way of doing things as opposed to the C++ standard.

That is why M$VC++ and Borland suck, they teach their own way of doing it, and not the standard, that's why I stick to Dev-C++ cause it teaches neither .

Edited by - ju2wheels on December 11, 2001 5:54:05 PM

ju2wheels: the compiler doesn''t teach you anything, and you can always set the compiler switch for ANSI compliance. i use VC++, but stick to strict ANSI compliance for portability and venture into Windows specific code only when necessary. (i.e. instead of using "CreateFile", i exclusively use "fopen").

Sean99: if people don''t want to spend time on their own learning stuff then programming is probably not the profession they should be directed towards. there is always something a class is going to fail to bring up. literally 90% of my programming skills is individual learning.

i''m not trying to defend MS or their marketing schemes, just trying to clear up some misconceptions.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.