Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kuphryn

Best C++ Reference Book

Hi. I have read the following since I began learning and practicing C++ a few months back: Tony Gaddis - Starting Out With C++ Second Edition Alternate Deitel & Deitel - C++ How to Program Third Edition The Deitel book is the best, however, I find it is good for learning rather than looking up quick references. I use SGI for STL, but it there are few examples except for containers. What is the more complete C++ reference that any serious programmer should definitely have? Thanks, Kuphryn Edited by - kuphryn on December 9, 2001 12:40:43 AM

I think the best reference is the self experience, so I don''t know about any book that shows you better than making mistakes when programming... that''s my view point...

Guest Anonymous Poster
The C++ Programming Language special edition, by Bjarne Stroustrup (the guy who made the language). It goes over pretty much everything, though it doesn''t go much into the standard library. You definently should get it. For the standard libary I use the gray book by Jossutis, it covers the whole library, not just the STL.

The book by Stroustrup is a great overall language reference. It is mostly a language reference and not a library reference, but the sections on STL are pretty good.

Thanks.

I will save up for Stroustrup''s C++ reference and Jossutis''s STL reference. I could buy one or both now, but I do not have time to read both. Unless they are for use as references only. Are those C++ books meant to be referenced type or as "read-through?"

Kuphryn

Guest Anonymous Poster
the Stroustrup book can be read through or used as a reference, I think it is good at being both types of book. The other one is more of a reference, but I read through a few of the earlier chapters to get an overview of how it all works together

Okay. Thanks.

I will probably buy the STL reference first since STL has so many member functions to work with. In the long run I Stroustrup C++ reference is a must have.

Kuphryn

Hey, I found out something interesting a few minutes ago. Amazon sells Stroustrup''s C++ reference and Josuttis'' STL reference as one package for $119.

You guys did not recommend Josuttis because of that special did you?

Kuphryn

Guest Anonymous Poster
nope, I bought them seperately, one week apart too so I had to pay extra on shipping. Smart move huh?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ack! That Deitel book is horrible, at least in my own opinion.

Guest Anonymous Poster
yeah it is HORRIBLE. They don''t even get into discussing strings until chapter 20! No wonder so many newbies (and intermediate people) don''t know the basics.

Just to add another voice: the Stroustrup and Josuttis books are great. If you can only afford one, get the Josuttis book since your Deitel book will cover much of the basics anyway, but the Stroustrup book will give you a much better understanding of the language.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]