I can't find an artist, why?

Started by
37 comments, last by theANMATOR 4 years, 7 months ago

Hi.

I can't find an artist for graphics (models, textures, animations) for a voxel game. I tried looking everywhere - for multiple years -, offering a revenue share etc. I can't pay a salary unfortunately and without an artist I can't really sell my game, so I'm kind of stuck.

You would think that it would be pretty easy to find someone given that the game is pretty much finished after 5 years of work but I just can't find anyone.

Is it maybe because it's a voxel game? Do hobby artists want their art to look as realistic as possible, so no one wants to work on a voxel game?

Advertisement

Different artists have their own creative tastes and I'm not sure how limiting voxel games are in terms of artistic creation. Maybe there is just a lower amount of artists interested in devoting their time to creating such assets.

I'm a programmer first and an artist second, and if I was to work on a game for "rev share" artistically I would want to be doing something I enjoy so at least I can create a portfolio piece if the game didn't work in hopes of making some income.

I've personally never ran into a single artist that actively works on art pieces used in voxel games.

Programmer and 3D Artist

1 hour ago, Magogan said:

I can't find an artist, why?

I can't pay a salary unfortunately

You've answered your own question. You don't get what you don't pay for.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

5 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

You've answered your own question. You don't get what you don't pay for.

I know. But other people find hobby artists all the time it seems, even for games that are at the idea stage, i.e. just ideas. But I can't find anyone even at this stage. I don't understand that.

2 minutes ago, Magogan said:

I know. But other people find hobby artists all the time it seems, even for games that are at the idea stage, i.e. just ideas. But I can't find anyone even at this stage. I don't understand that.

That may be true, but it could also be due to the fact those games are not voxel games at large. Either way it's hard to get people to stick out rev share projects long term as it is, and you're going to narrow that gap if the art style you require is part of a more niche group.

If you're already 5 years in and all you need is art to commercially release the game I would suggest hiring someone to get it over with if you believe strongly enough in the game's ability to generate money. That is assuming you have a marketing budget and some form of a campaign planned. I'm also going to throw this out there... if you cannot afford an artist, how will you afford marketing to even sell your game?

Is it also possible for you to pick up some skills and try doing the art yourself? Sometimes you have to do this when you cannot find or afford anyone else.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Well, I can get the marketing for free mostly. At least some people will make videos about my game I'm sure. Two people already uploaded videos about it. I'm not going to spend money much on marketing before the game is perfect.

I already spent about €1,800 on graphics (for the textures and animations). It's not much but I can't afford much more. I just need someone to make the game look better overall.

I already did the modeling myself. I simply can't do textures and animations, I tried... It will not look good enough.

16 minutes ago, Magogan said:

I just need someone to make the game look better overall.

I already did the modeling myself. I simply can't do textures and animations, I tried... It will not look good enough.

I understand. I do hope you find someone as you've come so far already making Cube Universe and I'm sure it has potential as well to be a good game.

Programmer and 3D Artist

26 minutes ago, Rutin said:

it has potential

If everyone who said that would buy my game, I'd be a billionaire... *wink*

There was the same question posted on Stack Exchange... https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/12846/where-can-i-go-to-find-a-game-graphic-artist ...and the top answer had some good links.

It could also be the way you're trying to recruit, to be honest. You have to sell an artist on your game just as much as they have to sell their skills to you. Share a couple of links for the job postings you've created. Perhaps we can help you create a more attractive "call to arms".

8 minutes ago, Guy Fleegman said:

and the top answer had some good links.

With emphasis on had... Currently the only valid options are the DeviantArt forums (where I can't find any external projects though) and the pixel joint forums. The others forums are pretty much dead...

I'll try my best on pixel joint, thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement