I can't find an artist, why?

Started by
37 comments, last by theANMATOR 4 years, 7 months ago
Just now, Magogan said:

I'll try my best on pixel joint, thank you.

Oddly enough, a pixel artist is probably who you need to hire for your 3D game.

Advertisement

How do I get gallery points on pixel joint? I can't use the forum unless I get 6 gallery points.

I guess I'm not using pixel joint.

2 minutes ago, Magogan said:

How do I get gallery points on pixel joint? I can't use the forum unless I get 6 gallery points.

Are you looking for this: http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/faqs_ranks.asp

Programmer and 3D Artist

11 minutes ago, Magogan said:

That's unfortunate. I hate places that make you jump through hoops.

- - - - -

Curious about more specific aspects of your art requirements though...

Do you use a specific file format / software for your voxel characters and animations?

Is what we see in your gameplay videos the style you are looking for (voxel, solid colored characters in a texture-mapped box environment)? ...are you open to other ideas for the character design style (nothing too crazy, mind you, but maybe low-poly)?

Lastly, please share one of your job postings so I can get more information about your project requirements.

9 minutes ago, Rutin said:

Are you looking for this: http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/faqs_ranks.asp

Oh my god that is stupid. You just click on images and rate them. Just add a CAPTCHA to prevent spam... Seriously...

I'll try to post a job offering there tomorrow. I need to wait 24 hours...

1 minute ago, Magogan said:

Oh my god that is stupid. You just click on images and rate them. Just add a CAPTCHA to prevent spam... Seriously...

I'll try to post a job offering there tomorrow. I need to wait 24 hours...

Yea... I haven't been on pixel joint in years, or even posted art there in a long long time. Had no idea they still had such a system in place... 

Programmer and 3D Artist

23 minutes ago, Guy Fleegman said:

Do you use a specific file format / software for your voxel characters and animations?

I have my own voxel editor that outputs the models to blender for animation and texture drawing. The textures are automatically generated (just all the faces laid out in the texture) so you can either modify them in an image editor like GIMP or Photoshop or just draw on them in Blender (or both).

Is what we see in your gameplay videos the style you are looking for (voxel, solid colored characters in a texture-mapped box environment)? ...are you open to other ideas for the character design styles (nothing too crazy, mind you)?

1/32 meter sized voxels with 4x4 pixels per face is the only requirement. Maybe 2x2 or 1x1 pixels for larger characters such as dragons.

Lastly, please share one of your job postings so I can get more information about your project requirements.

I just need an artist for various things. Creatures with animations and textures, some additional animations for existing characters, updated block textures with normal maps, and placeable models such as furniture (beds etc.) and decorative items.

That sounds like you've streamlined the asset creation process really well. I have a little experience with 3D animation/modelling and pixel art, and that does not sound too complicated at all from my perspective. I think this kind of information is important to put in your job postings.

Blender is a beast though, but with the specific goal of just pivoting and moving boxes to animate, it wouldn't be so bad for 2D pixel guys to learn.

I'm pretty busy, but your request is very enticing. Is there a link to your voxel editor so I (or others) could play around with it?

It's included in the game - even in the free demo. https://download.beosar.com/launcher

It's not very intuitive yet, though. I had to make it work, that was a lot of work already... Hold middle mouse button to rotate the camera. If you have any question feel free to ask. I'm on Discord, too: Beosar#8149

6 minutes ago, Guy Fleegman said:

That sounds like you've streamlined the asset creation process really well. I have a little experience with 3D animation/modelling and pixel art, and that does not sound too complicated at all from my perspective. I think this kind of information is important to put in your job postings.

Blender is a beast though, but with the specific goal of just pivoting and moving boxes to animate, it wouldn't be so bad for 2D pixel guys to learn.

I'm pretty busy, but your request is very enticing. Is there a link to your voxel editor so I (or others) could play around with it?

Nope, it really isn't a complicated process by any means for someone who does 3D art already. Even the texturing can be be done pretty easy as well. I do such things procedurally in Substance Designer, and can do some merging to match the alternative non PBR workflow for such a game with ease with nice normal maps. Any competent artist could take this on no problem, it is just a matter of finding someone available. I know it would be a pretty big time sink depending on how big the asset list is though.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement