• Advertisement
Magogan

I can't find an artist, why?

Advertisement
10 hours ago, Magogan said:

there is no real asset list.

You should create one. You'll be ready to go when you find an artist.

1 hour ago, Tom Sloper said:

You should create one. You'll be ready to go when you find an artist.

Reminds me of "It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared."

17 hours ago, Magogan said:

I know. But other people find hobby artists all the time it seems, even for games that are at the idea stage, i.e. just ideas. But I can't find anyone even at this stage. I don't understand that.

They look for collaborators, there is a chance to find someone who'd like to work on exactly the same kind of game. The "Idea stage" is the most interesting for these people. (Most of these collaboration end after time wasting brainstorming talks).

You look for labor worker, unpaid. Imagine someone would offer you to work on their cooking simulator game. All art and the game design document are settled. It will be done in Unity3D. You only need to be programming it half a year, for rev share, of course. Does that sound better to you than to work on your own game?

The decision hierarchy/chain would be: 1. They would rather work on their own art. 2. They would work on some more polished/existing game. 3. They would work on your game.

Hence, until your game offers really something beyond other games, it will be hard for you to find someone. Maybe you already have something beyond? Then sell/advertise it like it was Minecraft 2.

Thank you for the advice, tayetex!

I had no problems finding someone when I was able to pay for it - and so far it went well every time. But I don't have any money left. Ideally, I would find an investor but I'll probably win the lottery before that happens.

I have found Guy Fleegman here who seems to really like the game and wants to help me. I guess you need to be really lucky to find someone who loves voxel art that much to help for free or for a revenue share.

35 minutes ago, tayetex said:

Maybe you can offer something that is not money: maybe some programming time

Yeah, I thought about offering my programming instead of paying money, but I already have very limited time and I need to make money to live, so spending some time on someone else's project is probably not the best idea. And I'd have to find someone who works on a voxel/pixel graphics game as an artist and needs a programmer, that's quite rare I guess.

35 minutes ago, tayetex said:

Pheww... I didn't intend to make a post so long, but I hope it can help you and other project leaders looking for artists. Good luck!

It was very helpful, thanks!

Edited by Magogan