• Advertisement
marlytime13

Musician and Aspiring Music Producer looking for advice

Hello my name is Lillian Chansky. I have been a musician for 13 years and have been making music for 2 years. My friends all think my music sounds like game music so I decided to post here to get my work out there. I play the violin and I am classically trained. I am also a music education student who is planning on minoring in commercial music and recording. I would appreciate any advice that you can give me since I am just starting out with making my own music. I would also like feedback on my songs. Thank you all so much.  

Advertisement

Welcome! 

I like your music - got some good ideas happening. I'll try and give you some feedback on what I feel could be improved below: 

Ganbatte - I like the energy and overall flow. The percussion could use a bit more weight and impact. Right now it feels like wallpaper instead of really driving your piece. Check out side-chain compression for more details on this. The build up and hit at 0:45 could be much larger. When you go back to your A section idea, it would be nice to hear something altered here somewhat. So the return still feels like an evolution. While I like everything in your track, I feel like having a more contrasting C section would help balance your A and B ideas. 

Pilgrimage - I like the lowfi sound! Nice change into the fuller section. Some of your violin is a bit pitchy - is this intentional? If not, you might need to tweak some things (either via re-recording or in post). Overall, though, nice playing! I like the folksy vibe combined with the more modern production. Percussion is awfully low in the mix. I'd work on getting a full sound while keeping your instrumentation more balanced. Piece kinda reminds me of some of the stuff from Bastion - and I mean that as a high compliment. 

You've definitely got talent and skill! Thanks for sharing!