• Advertisement
Phantonix

Need help in choosing game engine

Hi everyone. As you can probably tell by the topic title, I'm a beginner game developer, and I have a question about a specific game that I want to create. It would be a first-person survival horror game, a mix of Outlast and Slenderman, with the same simple objective of "a figure chasing my character and my character have to escape by completing tasks and eventually getting out... or not.".

I want the game to look realistic(the main "villain" especially), like in Outlast or if I can give another example, a latest horror game called "Silver Chains". I know that the "scariness factor" doesn't quite come from the graphics(it's an important part IMO, but ofc Corpse Party is a great horror game too), and this is what my question is about.

Can I pull off a game like that, as an one-man team, with the Unity3D game engine? Or to make a survival horror game like that, do I absolutely need a more robust engine, like Unreal Engine 4? I know that first I should get experience in both, but I can't decide which engine should I focus on primarily, if creating this is my end goal.

I have some prior knowledge of C#, which Unity uses. I've read up on C++, but the more I get into it, the more confused I get, so I know C++ requires a lot more grit. And I know you can make beautiful indie games with Unity too, but I have doubts that it would be able to handle that much detail in a fast-paced, dark environment.

Sorry if this is a noob question, I am a noob after all, trying to see things clearer. Thanks for reading this and I'd greatly appreciate if you shared your thoughts!

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!