Palm & Windows CE market?

Started by
27 comments, last by Jester101 22 years ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
2150, the game ends at 2050 though ?

Yeah, I''m not exactly sure about that. Matt was surprised too that he could go beyond 2050. Perhaps there''s a bug? Then again, perhaps I just remember wrong.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Advertisement
In reply to Pyabo''s question, yes it''s Space Treker. The main reason that the registrations are in the high hundreds ( and this is only my guess ) is that the game has a the feel of some old space games and a retro quality which appeals to an age group which happens to contain lots of people who buy CE devices.

I did not mean that CE was more functional than big Windows, just that it actually does everything well and for most purposes it''s more user friendly & certainly more robust.

Regarding the level of sales in November or any other month I''ve given up trying to figure the internet. My sales were poor in November ( only 20 ) yet in October & December they are fine. Some days there are no registrations & other days 5 come together. Overall the PocketPC market is growing & the industry is on the up & up. Last Christmas there were lots of Palms & a couple of PocketPCs on sale here & now the average store catalogue has 3 pages of PocketPCs plus a few Palms.

Ian
Hey Sundial,
Can you tell us a little bit about what you''ve done in the way of marketing, and how you are bringing in sales? Are you using your own website, or going through a 3rd party? If you''re doing online registration, who are you going with?

I''m intrigued by your game since it seems to be very popular in what I considered a very small market. Any more info you can give us is greatly appreciated!
OFF TOPIC: Civ III calculates your final score in year 2050 (it was 2010 in Civ II), if you haven''t "won" by then. However, it gives you the option to keep playing for fun, with no scoring, for as long as you want.
quote:Original post by Peeper
OFF TOPIC: Civ III calculates your final score in year 2050 (it was 2010 in Civ II), if you haven''t "won" by then. However, it gives you the option to keep playing for fun, with no scoring, for as long as you want.

Coolio. So that''s what happened!

(end off topic.)

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
I Think the answer to your question is to actually take a look at who the Palm is aimed at. Generally speaking, people who own a Palm tend to be working professionals who use it to organize their schedule or contacts (Sales Staff, etc).

Lets say the average age of the people who own a palm for business reasons are in their lates 20, or earily to mid 30s. Basically that means that they grew up in the late 70''s and early 80''s in a period I like to refer to as the glory days of games when you would spend hours pumping quaters into Pac-Man, Tron, Asteriods, Frogger and Mr. Do among others.

I commute 40 minutes each day, each way, so I have a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes where I can either stare out the window or play games on my Palm, which I also use to manage my schedule and keep my contacts in order. I don''t really want to play games which are really involved, but a simple game like galaga is enough to keep me occupied for the ride. (It brings back those memories of the good old days)

I think to make a profit with shareware software for the Palm OS, you will have to target the people who have them, working professionals who may not want to get involved in a time consuming game like myst, but may want to play a quik action packed game in some spare time. I think you will do very well taking old arcade games and porting them onto the palm. The hardware of the standard palm, and an upright arcade game from the early 80''s are about the same, if the palm is not more powerful so it is possible. (Games like Pac-Man and Missle Command have already been written for the Palm and Yes, I have bought full versions of them to play)

While this is not a 100% true statement, there are not many teenagers with palm''s and there are not many 32 year old guys with game cubes.

Steven

skreuzer@mac.com
I Think the answer to your question is to actually take a look at who the Palm is aimed at. Generally speaking, people who own a Palm tend to be working professionals who use it to organize their schedule or contacts (Sales Staff, etc).

Lets say the average age of the people who own a palm for business reasons are in their lates 20, or earily to mid 30s. Basically that means that they grew up in the late 70''s and early 80''s in a period I like to refer to as the glory days of games when you would spend hours pumping quaters into Pac-Man, Tron, Asteriods, Frogger and Mr. Do among others.

I commute 40 minutes each day, each way, so I have a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes where I can either stare out the window or play games on my Palm, which I also use to manage my schedule and keep my contacts in order. I don''t really want to play games which are really involved, but a simple game like galaga is enough to keep me occupied for the ride. (It brings back those memories of the good old days)

I think to make a profit with shareware software for the Palm OS, you will have to target the people who have them, working professionals who may not want to get involved in a time consuming game like myst, but may want to play a quik action packed game in some spare time. I think you will do very well taking old arcade games and porting them onto the palm. The hardware of the standard palm, and an upright arcade game from the early 80''s are about the same, if the palm is not more powerful so it is possible. (Games like Pac-Man and Missle Command have already been written for the Palm and Yes, I have bought full versions of them to play)

While this is not a 100% true statement, there are not many teenagers with palm''s and there are not many 32 year old guys with game cubes.

Steven

skreuzer@mac.com

Steven

skreuzer@mac.com
<SPAN CLASS=smallfont>quote:Original post by fakemind
this may seem like a silly question, but do you see Palm/CE as a competitor to nintendo''s gameboys anytime in the future? reading through the replies it seems like these "handheld PCs" have more power than the gameboy.
</SPAN>

Well I agree with you but you buy a Gameboy to play and a Pocket PC to work with. That''s why I think there''s no real Pocket PC Game business. A business won''t waste 10$ for a Tetris. But a child will spend 50$ for one!

[Edited by - jmmolina on November 4, 2004 9:46:43 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement