Where announcements go to die

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 7 months ago

Thx for the insight all. I have listed my game in Announcements.  With all do respect, this seems like a place where game announcements go to die.

I don’t ever see my simple game as ending up on Steam or having its own website nor was that my goal.  Announcements seem like an advertising board for teams looking to put their games on the market and it’s cool there is such a mechanism to do that.   I have gotten a lot of views. Around a 100 a day.  But it doesn’t look like anyone gets any replies, or very few ppl do.  Is this common?  I’m not looking to promote a side business just see what ppl think of my beginning attempt.  Are we still in agreement this is the best place?  Just curious. 

Thx

Advertisement

(Post was split off from https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/703781-complexity-needed-for-listing-a-game/)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@AceBlkwell I personally don't read through announcements that much, I'd say create a blog here and post to it - if you write something that will catch my eye, I'm going to look at it (and I guess that goes for everyone here on the forums) - and if available - try it. There is also an Indie Showcase section, or you can create a Project. I believe those are visible (I remember checking out few of them).

From the old times of GameDev.net I remember that there was an Image of the Day. "Every day" (sometimes it took a week), there was a post on home page that highlighted a project and there were many people talking under it - often trying accompanying demo or at least talking about the video or such.

I personally miss it (and yes, I know there is still Image of the Day sadly it is just image - there is no archive of those (or I wasn't able to find them), and there is no direct easy way to post those (I believe it was right next to Image of the Day on the old website). On the other hand, the Blogs and Projects are making up for it, yet I have a feeling that there is far less discussions and comments on the site in recent years.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Current IOTD is picked based off images uploaded to members Galleries.

Re: Announcements - these are still viewed and used, but Projects are intended to replace with a project Blog for announcements.

Discussion and comments level have been increasing in recent years from a low in 2014-2015 as we've worked on visibility and learning how to provide better value than the all encompassing social networks. Contributions and spreading the word are the best way for members to help with this, and we're working on a more modern, searchable, simplified-navigation based platform to help bring that value and retain members.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This is good information. Thanks.   As I'm learning more, I don't think the issue is with the board but with my request.  I was looking for some opinions on a simple, completed game.  With the game being completed (well as much as I'm going to do lol) a project blog seems overkill.

From what I can see the Announcement section and the project sections seem to be for large, team built, indie projects. (People far more professional and talented than I) The entries are listed more as teasers to keep people interested and anxiously waiting on a project to be completed.  Also, maybe to check the pulse of reception while the game is being created in case an idea isn't going over well.  Example, in the Announcement section I noticed no one was getting a response to their games so I decided to download and run a few games to give my two cents.  It's what the posts seem to be requesting.   I didn't find one game on the first page.  They were all links to websites of "in process" games, with you tube videos of what the game will look like / progress to this point. 

In any case I started to realize I'm out of my league lol.  I'm just a hack that plays around with programming for the fun of programming itself, not necessarily for the outcome. I quit when I'm bored with it and start back when I decide there is something I was interested in learning.  It's the reason my games are simple (console) games with hard to follow code. 

I will say, if I was fortunate enough to be creating games for a living, this is definitely the place to be.  or if I was looking to start a career in game development, this place as a resource would be invaluable.   

thanks again all,

Ace

1 hour ago, AceBlkwell said:

I was looking for some opinions on a simple, completed game.

If you want "opinions," it's best to request specific feedback. If you want feedback on the art, ask for it in the Visual Arts/Art Critique forum. If you want feedback on the design (say, puzzle design specifically, for instance) you can ask for it in the Game Design forum. If you want business feedback, there's a forum for that. Focus your request to an appropriate forum and ask focused questions. "I worry that my graphics will prevent the game from achieving my sales goal" (art forum) or "Do you think my levels are long enough?" (design forum).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement