C++

Started by
6 comments, last by doug25 4 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone use the unreal engine in C++? I want to use unreal for c++. I'm  make websites from scratch. Html, css, JavaScript and I'm going for C++

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

Advertisement

Absolutely. Both at work and for a hobby project I primarily work in C++ when using the Unreal Engine. There's obviously some work that has to be done in Blueprint, but you can make that as much or as little as you want.  At work the amount varies based on engineering discipline (UI uses it more than some others). At home I also primarily use it for UI but will also use it for the mission scripting when I get around to it.

--Russell Aasland
--Lead Gameplay Engineer
--Firaxis Games

Have to agree and go with C++

C++ is not an easy or forgiving language. You will have a rough ride, but otherwise, go for it.

I thanks myself to this day for taking C++ as a subject in School. I personally find it really interesting and fun and if I have to choose it's going to be C++. 

Try to make a simple games from scratch using OpenGL/Direct3D without game engines. Maybe it will be interesting for you and it will be useful for understanding some things like: matrices, shaders, your own UI system and so on. I tried to use C++ with UE4, but it seemed very complicated for me. Now I study C# + Unity, TypeScript + Babylon.js (and another WebGL frameworks) and I write my simple game engines in C# + OpenGL 3.1 and TypeScript + WebGL for practice with simple games like: pong, snake, breakout, pacman and so on. But everyone choose his own way. Maybe C++ and UE4 will be better for you.

I use Unreal Engine, I think C++ is the most reliable language there is, in terms of language syntax, object oriented programming

I think is so much fun.

Doug

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement