• Advertisement
ShyPoke

What Should We Avoid in the Industry?

For budding game devs, what would be on a "blacklist" of things or people to avoid in the games industry?

My example for this (so that I'm not just asking a question and actually contribute to this forum) would be to: Avoid promising your audience that your game will be on Steam, and then taking an Epic Exclusivity Deal.

I hope this is the right forum to post this in, let me know if it's not and I'll delete it and post somewhere else.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, ShyPoke said:

Avoid promising your audience that your game will be on Steam, and then taking an Epic Exclusivity Deal.

That would be a Marketing boo-boo. Are you talking about what kind of Marketing mistakes to avoid? Or are you talking Indie only? I was going to say "don't grouse at work because it poisons the workplace," but that comes from an entirely different place from your example. 

1 hour ago, ShyPoke said:

I hope this is the right forum

This is the Career Development forum, so my answer comes from having a job at a game company. Sounds like you're planning on running your own company. Perhaps the Business forum is a better place to ask this, if that's where you're coming from.

I am actually the co-owner of a studio actually, so I will check out that out, thank you.

And I was going for mistakes in general that someone in the game industry should avoid, whether you are running your own company or a part of one.

And your advice is good. Grousing at work can cause issues for sure.

Well, 

Your question is a bit too broad, 

Mistakes or things to avoid can be put into many categories and it all depends on your situation. 

For example, things to avoid for indie are totally  different than things to avoid for AAA. 

Remote work Vs. office jobs, etc. etc. etc. 

But in general,Avoid toxic or anti social people even if they are highly skilled. 

Avoid disagreements with your business partners. 

Avoid making games for the sake of just making games. 

Avoid feature creep 

Without knowing more about your situation, it's difficult to tell you what pitfalls you may come across.