MSVC7 non-compliance list

Started by
40 comments, last by Shannon Barber 22 years, 2 months ago
quote: Taken from dotnet.languages.vc in a post by Ronald Laeremans [MSFT] Remaining non-compliance issues with VS7 (VS.NET) - 2.2 Unicode Identifiers - 3.4.2 Full Koenig Lookup - 8.5.1 Empty Aggregate Initialization - 9.8 Symbol Lookup for Local Member Functions - 11.4 Friends in Class Templates (also 14.5.3) - 13.3.1.1.2 Implicit Invocation of ptr-to-func Conversions - 13.3.3.2 Ranking of Derived to Base conversions - 14 Export Keyword - 14.1 Reference Non-Type template parameters (also 14.3.2) - 14.5.2 User-Defined Conversion Templates - 14.5.4 Partial Specialization of Class Templates - 14.5.5.2 Partial Ordering of Function Templates - 14.6 Dependent Names - 14.7.1 Nested Classes in Class Templates - 14.7.3 Explicit Specialization of Member Templates - 15.4 Exception Specifications - 15.5.2 The unexpected() function
These issues will not be addressed in service packs (due to whiney customers that don''t like new functionality being added in SP) Some of those issues will be addressed in VS8... Magmai Kai Holmlor "Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee "What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
..due to whiney customers that don''t like new functionality being added in SP

WHAT!?! Who are these whiney customers and when can I kick their cans!?

Actually, I find it kind of funny that they didn''t implement unexpected() in the expected way.
quote:Original post by Stoffel
WHAT!?! Who are these whiney customers and when can I kick their cans!?

IT is all that comes to mind

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you've never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on December 10, 2001 12:50:04 AM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
You are all right : who are those customers????????

But it still prove my point : MSVC is an horrible C++ compiler.
Shouldnt that be "MSVC is a horrible compiler"?

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism..

...or (in the case of Gorg's post) Microsoft-bashing...

Edited by - Stoffel on December 11, 2001 7:43:49 PM

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Shouldnt that be "MSVC is a horrible compiler"?

a sounded weird, so a used an.

But MSCV is not an horrible Compiler. It is an horrible "C++" compiler.

Now to stop the rumor that I am the guru of some sort of anti-microsoft cult I have to admit I exagerated. I find MSVC is simply sub-par compared to gcc, Kai, Codewarrior, Borland and sun workshop(those are the compilers I work/ed with). All those guys already have support for the majority of the non-compliance issue listed.

I will agree that those feature do not affect too much the average C++ programmer, but if you software uses template a lot(Scientific computing with blitz) MSVC just does not cut it.

Edited by - Gorg on December 11, 2001 8:42:49 PM
These are the same customers who wanted IE integrated into Win98, and Messenger into XP.

And Gorg, I''ll join your cult as soon as I can beat you in foosball.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement