• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shannon Barber

MSVC7 non-compliance list

This topic is 5977 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
When is MSVC++ 7 coming out? I am thinking of buying Visual C++ 6 Std, but not sure should I wait 7, since it is released shortly..

Advertisement
quote:

MSVC is simply sub-par compared to gcc, Kai, Codewarrior, Borland and sun workshop

<wonders off to find this obviously superior Kai compiler>

MSVC is a nice IDE - the compiler is completely seperate. Which makes me think it should be possible to use gcc with it. Trivial if you know how to use make files? (which I have yet to use...)

quote:

I will agree that those feature do not affect too much the average C++ programmer

Arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
That''s because MSVC doesn''t support them! If it did, the average program would be using them in the STL implementation. They might not be writing libraries destined for The Standard, but they definetly would be using them.

How can you use a language feature, thus create popular demand for it in the popular compiler, if you can''t ever use with your compiler!!!

Whether you should use a or an before a word like horrible or herb depend on who you ask (the h is technically silent, but it''s almost always pronouced in practice).

quote:

I am the guru of some...anti-microsoft cult

So, where do you meet? (jk)

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
<wonders off to find this obviously superior Kai compiler>

You''re the third person I have to correct . You know how you type "&lt"? Well, it shows up as &lt in a compliant browser. You must type "&lt;" if you want it to work correctly in a compliant browser. Leaving off the semicolon doesn''t seem to matter if whitespace follows it, but it''s still improper HTML.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

quote:
MSVC is a nice IDE - the compiler is completely seperate. Which makes me think it should be possible to use gcc with it.

Since no one has mentioned Intel''s C/C++ compiler, perhaps I should. It integrates very nicely with the MSVC IDE, and the standard support is much better.

quote:

Arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
That's because MSVC doesn't support them! If it did, the average program would be using them in the STL implementation. They might not be writing libraries destined for The Standard, but they definetly would be using them.

How can you use a language feature, thus create popular demand for it in the popular compiler, if you can't ever use with your compiler!!!

I agree. That is why I don't use MSVC anymore.(horrible...)

quote:

I am the guru of some...anti-microsoft cult

So, where do you meet? (jk)

Magmai Kai Holmlor

Every tuesday in an(a) hidden location. I have already been arrested twice by the FBI for ... let say stuff against microsoft

btw, here is a link to the Kai compiler :
http://www.kai.com/C_plus_plus/

BigB :

It will be difficult to beat me now: I actually play 3-4 times a day and with 2 balls! A couple of months ago, Costa stole the balls because it thought we were playing too much. He put them back because the project cancelled and we were move to a new one and we had nothing to do for a while

Edited by - Gorg on December 12, 2001 6:29:54 PM

I often hear people saying that no compiler sticks completely to the standard. Does anyone know in what ways gcc fails to comply, when "-ansi" is specified? I''d be interested to know.

Off the top of the head, GCC does not permit the following (str is a std::string object):
std::ctype<char>().toupper(str.begin(), str.end()); 

I''m still looking for a viable workaround without digging into the std::locale<> specification.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Ladies (it''s possible) and Gentlemen: if there are two words that just don''t belong in the same sentance, it''s MICRO$OFT, and COMPLIANCE. Just slightly less well-known than the fear and hate, torture chambers, iron stakes, gallows, labor camp, and psychiatric ward are the Court Battles, Market Monopolies, and "Invasive Production Activation Technology".

-------------- Tok --------------
~The Feature Creep of the Family~

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!