Books, books, books.....

Started by
3 comments, last by GrimRupert 22 years, 4 months ago
Yes, I was wondering what books anyone would suggest for someone that wants to write a 2-D RPG that will run in DOS (note: I just learned that I will not be learning how to program GUI''s in my highschool C++ class, so it will have to go over those kinds of things as well). So basically I am looking for a book to get those that just began programming some good lessons on how to do games for DOS (I figured DOS would be much more simple than a Windows program). Thank you. School sucks, people suck, family sucks, life sucks, reality sucks... When all else fails, Playstation prevails...
School sucks, people suck, family sucks, life sucks, reality sucks...When all else fails, Playstation prevails...
Advertisement
TIP: Post this in the beginners forum, or the game programming forum.
LINUX RULEZ (Unscrupulous)

Use Linux!

Use Python
Use Pygame
Use O'Reilly Dev Center!

IS THIS FORUM HTML ENABLED????

end

Yes, it's true,
there should be
a Java-Python-C++ language called Japyc
or (Jah-PIC)

Edited by - Andrew Nguyen on December 10, 2001 12:10:38 AM
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
"Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" might help you with stuff for DOS.

But really, once you get over certain aspects (like the message pump) writing for Windows isn't that bad - and using DirectDraw is both easy and useful for 2D games.

You should be able to find quite a few titles which are Windows based (for example, "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus").

Good luck.

E

Edited by - Eight on December 11, 2001 4:09:44 AM
The new Allegro 4.0.0 library was just released. It is really easy to understand, and there is a fair amount of documentation that comes with it. Best of all it''s crossplatform, so code you write for Windows (in MingW, a free windows compiler) can be converted easily to work in DOS (with DJGPP, a free DOS compiler) and Linux (with gcc, the GNU C compiler, which comes with Linux). It is perfectly suited for 2D games. Go to http://www.allegro.cc to download it.

--Buzzy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement