2.5d game vs 3d game

Started by
3 comments, last by Jammer42777 4 years, 7 months ago

Hello!

I'm considering making my first game.

I am trying to decide between a 2.5d game (a 2d game with 3d shaders) and a fps.

My question is what are the challenges of making each style of game?

Thank you!

--Joshua

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Jammer42777 said:

I am trying to decide between a 2.5d game (a 2d game with 3d shaders) and a fps.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure 2.5d necessarily means 2-d with 3-d shaders (assuming by 3-d shaders you mean programmable pipelines in APIs like OpenGL and Direct3D). I Googled the term, and it seems to mean different things, with the meaning perhaps having changed over time. I remember it being used to describe 3-d games with 2-d sprites and various spatial limitations, like Doom and Marathon, but the usage seems to be different now.

In any case, if this is your first project, I'd recommend starting with a simple 2-d game. There will be plenty of challenges entailed in that even without adding extra dimensions (or half-dimensions ?).

1 hour ago, Jammer42777 said:

My question is what are the challenges of making each style of game?

So, so many challenges. The possibility for challenges is nearly infinite for both.

Are you deciding between those two for one game? Do you have any design documentation at all?

Either one you choose, you need to start simple. Start with making a prototype that only includes the main game mechanics.

Thank you!  I will finish prototypes and then decide.   Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement