How do you make Windows 10 barely usable?

Started by
20 comments, last by allrts dot com 4 years, 5 months ago
On 9/17/2019 at 8:11 AM, Dawoodoz said:

This is not a rant against the workers at Microsoft, because everyone already knows that they pulled the plug on Windows from lack of funds and this is what I get for buying a computer with an abandoned operating system that they only provide for those already stuck with legacy applications.

Writing "everyone already knows" before something you want to believe does not make it true.

But I don't want to go off topic here, so here's my guide to making Windows 10 usable:

step 1: Install Windows 10.
There is no step 2.

Advertisement
9 minutes ago, Green_Baron said:

Hahaha, people spending time with uninstalling stuff they paid for ?

Seriously, the initial problem that tied you to that os was the camera, have i got that right ? I'd think that another camera (and OS) probably costs much less time(=money) than trying to fight against windmills ... ?

I had a camera that worked in Windows 7, but then they revoked the drivers somehow and I didn't want Windows 10 on my main computer due to "blue screen of death" every five minutes that my gaming desktop had before the downgrade to Windows7.

2 minutes ago, 1024 said:

Writing "everyone already knows" before something you want to believe does not make it true.

Microsoft has been clear that there will be no Windows 11, just security patches on their last Windows version. They put all marketing efforts in cloud services and I've never seen a single ad for Windows 10. They fired most Windows testers, so now the user is the beta tester with forced updates. I could post a huge list of news sources, but there's enough evidence in the system itself.

3 hours ago, Hodgman said:

wtf was installed on here to begin with? None of that is normal...

My Windows 10 laptop is also almost unusable, for probably similar reasons.

The default settings for a Win 10 Home installation seem to be something like this:

• on wake from sleep, download and install Windows Updates
  • on wake from sleep, run a Windows Defender scan

So, any time I switch it on - i.e. when I actually want to use the computer - I have Windows running 2 services that are competing for disk access as well as using significant memory and CPU. Usually it also adds disk defragmentation to compete for the disk and .NET "optimisation" service where it's compiling things in the background, competing for CPU.

After 5 or 10 minutes of at least one resource pegged at 100% and the fans blowing like a turbine this has all usually finished, but by then I've usually given up and switched over to my Macbook.

I managed to improve matters by finding the scheduled tasks that force those first 2 things to happen when I wake from sleep - but it still does things that are overdue and so if I'm not using the machine regularly enough to let it do these maintenance tasks, it'll do them the next chance it gets - which is precisely when I need it not to.

4 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

Microsoft has been clear that there will be no Windows 11, just security patches on their last Windows version.

That doesn't mean Windows has been abandoned. That means it's shifting to an ongoing process rather than discrete feature releases. There don't need to be ads for Windows because most consumers get it preinstalled on their machines. Windows is going nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

Windows is going nowhere.

"Not with a bang but a whimper."

22 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

Microsoft has been clear that there will be no Windows 11, just security patches on their last Windows version.

This is wrong. There have been multiple feature updates to Windows 10 so far, with more planned. The "no Windows 11" thing is more along the lines of "everyone gets the new version", like Apple does with OS X. You wouldn't say that Apple abandoned their OS in 2001 because there was no OS XI.

29 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

They put all marketing efforts in cloud services and I've never seen a single ad for Windows 10.

I haven't seen a single ad for Google Search in ten years, would you say that that means Google pulled the plug on it?

31 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

They fired most Windows testers, so now the user is the beta tester with forced updates

This is also wrong. If you want to beta test the next edition of Windows 10, you have to opt-in specifically. It's called the Windows Insider program. Users who did not opt-in for the program receive the final version, as they always have.

16 minutes ago, 1024 said:

This is also wrong. If you want to beta test the next edition of Windows 10, you have to opt-in specifically. It's called the Windows Insider program. Users who did not opt-in for the program receive the final version, as they always have.

If a medical company decided to skip animal testing for etcical reasons and give it directly to the customers, you would be the test subject. Even if you participate in the beta and it feels great, it might still kill you if long term side effects aren't understood by a paid medical professional.

They have a huge list of defects already but don't have time to fix it. This is like seeing that all test subjects die but still give it to another group hoping for the best.

https://www.tweakguides.com/

but for a specific tips list on a specific machine: tell us the specs of your device. RAM, processor, hard drive, GPU, etc.

beginner hobbyist 3d modeler, learning the rest at a snail's pace.
if you want a simple prop and are not in a hurry, message me and i'll see what i can do

Disable unneeded services would help alot. Follow this guide - http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/.

But if I am going to be honest, it's best if you just switch to Windows 7. It will save you a lot of time, worry and headache. It seems that your laptop is just not made to run Windows 10. Doing band-aid fixes will just make it worse over time.

1 hour ago, TheIndieteurGuy said:

Disable unneeded services would help alot. Follow this guide - http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/.

But if I am going to be honest, it's best if you just switch to Windows 7. It will save you a lot of time, worry and headache. It seems that your laptop is just not made to run Windows 10. Doing band-aid fixes will just make it worse over time.

Windows 10 came with the laptop, but I guess everyone just reinstalls it before use and hope to find working drivers.

The first computer I bought with Windows 10 didn't have enough disk space to receive updates after 24 hours. Somehow they still sold it completely unable to operate with the given system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement