• Advertisement
phil67rpg

jump algorithm

Advertisement

well I have stubbed out some math code. I got this from the video. is Vo the x velocity or the y velocity?

#include<iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{ 
	float g = -1.0f;
	float Vo = 5.0f;
	float time = 0.0f;
	float Po = 0.0f;
	float positionY = 0.0f;

cout << "Time: ";
	cin >> time;
	cout << endl;

for (int t = 0; t < time; t++)
	{
		positionY = 0.5f*g*(t*t) + Vo * t + Po;
		cout << positionY << endl;
	}

system("pause"); 
	return 0;
}

Edited by phil67rpg

well I have done some research and I have found out that Vo is the initial velocity in the x direction. is this assumption correct?

8 minutes ago, phil67rpg said:

well I have done some research and I have found out that Vo is the initial velocity in the x direction. is this assumption correct?

No. It's the initial velocity, period. Velocity is always a vector, comprising direction and magnitude. Maybe it's only in the direction of x, but since you're trying to jump it will certainly have a vertical component as well.

7 hours ago, phil67rpg said:

well I have stubbed out some math code. I got this from the video. is Vo the x velocity or the y velocity?

Speaking specifically about that code then Vo is the initial Y velocity and Po is the initial Y position. No part of that code attempts to calculate anything for X. However since the horizontal is not affected by gravity (and not parabolic) then X is likely just a simple linear function of 't'.

24 minutes ago, dmatter said:

No part of that code attempts to calculate anything for X

so how would I calculate for X

1 minute ago, phil67rpg said:

so how would I calculate for X

If X is simply linear:  x = velocityX * t + initialX

Obviously if your x velocity is 1 and you start at the origin 0 then that simplifies to just x = t