Emulating an old MMORPG / Making a small private server

Started by
3 comments, last by Acosix 4 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone! I finally mustered the balls to come here and ask for your advice.

To simply put it, my friend and I would like to emulate, or make a small private server of, this pretty old MMO.
We've managed to obtain the database of said MMO, even though it's not the most recent version.
The issue is.. both of us are what you'd call non-programmers, so we have no idea where we should start.

Having the database we've used SQL Server to take a look at it, but that's as far as we go.
He says we need somone who's familiar with c# & sql programming languages to help us set this up, skills that none of us have.

All we want is to put a small server up and running so that the two of us and a couple other friends can play together, kind of like minecraft.
We'd like to find people to help us set this up, or to at least guide us on what we have to do so we can hire some programmers.

So I'd like to ask:

• Since we have the database and (I think) don't need reverse engineering, what are the next steps to make it work and have the server go live?
  • What are the programms that we need to use for said steps?
  • What kind of skills should we look for in the people we'd hire to set the server up?

I'm sorry if this sounds halfassed but I really appreciate any advice you'd have to offer.
Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
19 hours ago, Velvet said:

(I think) don't need reverse engineering

You have to reverse engeneer the game because you don't know how the server works. There is more than just managing user-data, you have possibly verification of game actions, user management and anything like that. It is nothing you can target with just a data basis so far.

And at this point I think it ends because reverse engeneering as you aren't the owners of the game is against the games license agreement I guess. So it is illegal in fact

On 10/7/2019 at 8:23 AM, Shaarigan said:

You have to reverse engeneer the game because you don't know how the server works. There is more than just managing user-data, you have possibly verification of game actions, user management and anything like that. It is nothing you can target with just a data basis so far.

And at this point I think it ends because reverse engeneering as you aren't the owners of the game is against the games license agreement I guess. So it is illegal in fact

Ohhh I see! Thank you very much for the clarification.

And yes I'm aware of the legal aspects of private servers, but given that the game shut down and that the developers team disbanded I'm positive there's no harm in doing a small server just to hang with friends.

38 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Ohhh I see! Thank you very much for the clarification.

And yes I'm aware of the legal aspects of private servers, but given that the game shut down and that the developers team disbanded I'm positive there's harm in doing a small server just to hang with friends.

• Read the legal issues(EULA).
  • If you are not trying to reproduce anything and just the emulation to play with friend, it should not be of concern; even what regards using this project as your job portfolio showcase(I am assuming you are a game developer, as this is a game development forum).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement