• Advertisement
Manyula

Opinions on Unity for 2D Mobile?

I'm looking to make a 2D mobile game but want some opinons on what to use for it. I'm mainly a programmer and am comfortable with Unity, but I don't want to sink hours of work into something which could be done easier on another engine or even just Android Studio/XCode. What is Unity like for this use case?

Advertisement

scripting wise, could use work.  Quality wise, absolutely epic.  Input wise, great.  Animation wise, very frustrating.  Performance wise, very smooth.  Effort wise, intermidiate.  In summary, pretty great except animation and transforms.

4 hours ago, Manyula said:

...or even just Android Studio/XCode.

If you mean just working directly with the iOS and Android APIs without using a cross-platform engine or framework, I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be any easier than using Unity. (Even if you're already familiar with developing for iOS and Android, it seems likely that using Unity would still be less time-consuming.)