Ned Kelly Armored Outlaw PC FPS Game

Started by
3 comments, last by Tobop 4 years, 5 months ago

G'day internet,

Where to start with explaining this one? I'm interested in history, and FPS games (this one is inspired by Outlaws), so I thought 'why not add them together?' At the start of development I was a bit apprehensive about making the game. One person warned my that some people might get really offended if I make it. And then I thought - well if they can make movies about Ned Kelly, is it really that bad if a game is made? And you can decide not to shoot anyone in the game if one really wants too. 
Anyway I did a fair bit of research, hired a programmer with the shoe string budget I have, and now the demo & alpha versions are available! 

Hold my coffee. 

Advertisement

The past week was torture. 

It went something like this - I fixed an AI issue (which turned out to be something quite simple), added 4 more levels to the game with different music & then decided to implement a level code system (probably temporary until a better save & load system is implemented), and a new menu scene. 

Exported the new version, and demo version.
Found out that I had exported the demo version scenes in the wrong order, so all that 400mb gave you was a scene with 1 exit button. 
So I fixed that, but then realized the music was different. Went back, exported again. Then realized the level code text was on the 1st level. Went back, and had to export the demo & full version. Reupload. 

Moral of the post & note to self for the future - test, test & test again. 

Hold my coffee. 

I shot myself in the foot. 

Right after I posted the above, I tested my new build. 

It was broken as hell. For some reason, the whole game would lag quite dramatically when looking at a number of enemy AI. Just my luck.

I went through the thought processes:
"It was working fine before. But what broke the thing? This new feature, or that new feature? Should I give up, and cut my losses?"

So, after a few days of panic and trying a newer version of Unity to fix issues, redesigning the enemy meshes, implementing LODs to a lot of things, can you guess what the main cause was? 

9.7gb of cache within Unity, had somehow effected the builds. I cleared it, and - cured! No more lag / FPS drop. 

Cache. Lol. 

Hold my coffee. 

Nope. I could be wrong. It could be my RAM - however, I do not have a clear answer anymore so I think I'm going to crawl under a rock and shut up from now on.

Hold my coffee. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement