Feedback for games idea

Started by
2 comments, last by Dawoodoz 4 years, 6 months ago

Hi there,

I need help! Based on my own experiences, I have a theory that if we (game designers/builders/creators of awesomeness) were to have a simple method for collecting and analyzing feedback about our games we could:

• significantly improve the early game-play and feel of the game,

• reduce the time it takes to keep or kill our ideas,

• improve the time it takes to go from thinking to world building (idea to production),

• stay engaged whilst on the journey to full production.

So before I go any further with my theory, I’d love to get your thoughts and opinions. Are the problems I face just mine or are you experiencing them too?

Please help me by completing this quick questionnaire:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9SFXKHD (it should only take 2-3 mins) 

or providing any comments you feel might help (please be constructive ;)).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

You're certainly not the only one who tries to make informed decisions as early as possible, or to get done faster without sacraficing quality. There are several things one can do:

• Building Prototypes of (just) the mechanics that are questioned
  • A/B testing
  • Playtesting (meaning a Game Designer watches players play the game)
  • Research (e. g. for similar games, how they performed, bad design decisions, ...)
  • Limiting the scope (development time, budget, or game content) early on

These are not exclusive (you can do several things), and some of these apply at different stages during the games development cycle.

Back in 2004 when I got tired of writing the same types of games over and over again, I made a crude application with colored lines on a black background for fast prototyping to explore the options of game mechanics quicker. I learned how to write physics simulation in a more reusable way by not getting stuck with game specific limitations. Eventually became a physics sandbox where challenges could be created. People liked playing around with it more than my actual games, so I decided to do a remake with 3D graphics that people liked even more.

It wouldn't hurt to put some extra effort in making rapid development tools available to players and modders.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement