Delayed shots Concept

Started by
4 comments, last by frob 4 years, 6 months ago

Concept for Delayed Shots in a Fast Paced Shooter

The base for this concept is that with each click or trigger pull there is a X-second delay before the gun would actually fire. This would make it alot more difficult to time shots and could create unique design elements that would cater to this delay. (i.e sharp corners and hallways where it would be hard to time when to click in such a tight enclosed space). Ive had this concept for a minute and i know we could code it to work but my main concern with this is, would it be a good design choice?

Michael Nuckles

Advertisement
18 minutes ago, Loosearmy said:

would it be a good design choice?

If it's fun to play, it is a good choice. How are you using this delayed-fire concept - I mean, is there a strategic twist? Does the player have information about where an enemy will be when the delayed projectile will hit? Does the enemy also have delayed fire? 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1 hour ago, Tom Sloper said:

If it's fun to play, it is a good choice. How are you using this delayed-fire concept - I mean, is there a strategic twist? Does the player have information about where an enemy will be when the delayed projectile will hit? Does the enemy also have delayed fire? 

The view we're thinking are top down so you'll be able to see what's ahead of you alittle bit. So there will be strategy involved trying to guess where this projectile will hit once it is fired and how you will have to move accordingly. On the note of enemies. We're still trying to figure that out ourselves but at this time the enemies will not unless we have a multiplayer mode in which case everyone will have the delayed-fire. Let me know if there are any more questions I'll be more than happy to answer

Michael Nuckles

Well, just trust your own design instincts. Don't worry about whether your choices are good or not - try them, playtest them. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Requiring you to lead your shots has been a staple of game design since the 1970s. Entering into the early 1980s games like Missile Command were entirely based around the mechanic.

Some games use it quite effectively. If you're on the defensive, the lead time can allow you a moment to escape unharmed. If you're on the offensive, the lead time can let you block predicted escape routes. For non-gameplay purposes, the delay can help mask network latency or data loading delays.

It isn't always fun, so you must try it out and see how it helps or hurts your specific game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement