Decomposing fixed byte[] in elements

Started by
2 comments, last by Nypyren 4 years, 5 months ago

Some weeks ago I was asking how to fill a fixed byte[] array with values (floats, ints, etc). Now I need the opposite: I have to parse that array, received from the client, into values. Seems that BitConverter cant accept fixed byte[] as parameter, how can I convert it to something usable bit BitConverter?

Advertisement

The term you are looking for is either serializing/deserializing, or more generically marshalling.

Have you tried this technique? I don't do C#, so I don't know if this is .NET-specific, or if Unity's subset of it offers these features as well. https://stackoverflow.com/a/28761634/2984949

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

The techniques I posted in the last thread work bidirectionally.

You can convert the fixed byte array to an IntPtr for use with Marshal with: new IntPtr(fixedArray);

using System;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        static unsafe void Main(string[] args)
        {
            var buffer = new MyBuffer();

buffer.fixedBuffer[3] = 1;
            buffer.fixedBuffer[4] = 0xC8;

// section of the array that will be used now contains:
            // 00 00 00 01 C8 00 00 00
            // ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
            // Foo         Bar
            // Little Endian will be used on Little Endian computers (the majority of them)
            // outputs will be:
            // Foo = 0x01000000 (16777216)
            // Bar = 0x000000C8 (2.802598E-43)

var blarg = Marshal.PtrToStructure<Blarg>(new IntPtr(buffer.fixedBuffer));

Console.WriteLine(blarg.Foo);
            Console.WriteLine(blarg.Bar);

// To put values back in:
            blarg.Foo = 1;
            blarg.Bar = 1;

Marshal.StructureToPtr(blarg, new IntPtr(buffer.fixedBuffer), false);

for (int i=0; i<8; ++i)
            {
                Console.Write($"{buffer.fixedBuffer[i]:X2} ");
            }
            Console.WriteLine();
        }
    }

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)]
    struct Blarg
    {
        public int Foo;
        public float Bar;
    }

internal unsafe struct MyBuffer
    {
        public fixed byte fixedBuffer[128];
    }
}

If you want to just convert the fixed byte[] to a normal byte[] you can copy the entire thing to a managed array using Marshal.Copy and then use normal C# byte[] techniques like MemoryStream, BinaryReader, StreamReader, BitConverter, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement