• Advertisement
YogShakti

Is it possible to make a good looking game in GDevelop?

Hi, I am new here. I just made an account to ask this question. Sorry if this topic is in wrong section. Please feel free to move it where it would fit. Thanks.

I recently got interested in making my own game. But I am not a coder. So I discovered this free engine called GDevelop which doesn't require any coding knowledge. I am interested in making a Side Scroller Shooter game. But the few games which were made using this engine were all looking retro-ish. As if they were 20 years old. Is it possible to make a pretty and a modern looking game. An example would be the game called My Friend Pedro. Visually it looks pretty good.

Thanks before hand.
YogShakti

Advertisement

(Moving to the For Beginners section)

Generally speaking, the simpler engines like GDevelop are great for learning and for fun, but if you want top-level features you'll either have to opt for a more professional engine - or, build such an engine from the ground up, which is a daunting task.

Having said that, how the game looks is largely about the art rather than the programming. If you want things to look modern then that usually requires hiring some artists and giving them the tools to get the correct visuals into the game.

7 hours ago, Kylotan said:

(Moving to the For Beginners section)

Generally speaking, the simpler engines like GDevelop are great for learning and for fun, but if you want top-level features you'll either have to opt for a more professional engine - or, build such an engine from the ground up, which is a daunting task.

Having said that, how the game looks is largely about the art rather than the programming. If you want things to look modern then that usually requires hiring some artists and giving them the tools to get the correct visuals into the game.

Thank you for a reply. I understand.

I would say there's nothing holding you back from making a good looking game with that tool.

Probably the reason the games made so far don't look super-duper is less to do with what the tool is capable of and more a symptom of the kind of user this tool is aimed at: individuals who are less technical.

That being said, you mentioned My Friend Pedro, that would be a game you could not make using this engine because the game utilises 3D graphics and I don't see any evidence that this engine supports 3D, I believe it's a 2D-only engine.

What would be your best recommendation of a free engine to use to make a 2D or a 3D game without using any code. To make a finished game which can earn some decent bucks? Thanks

Most games don't make 'decent bucks', sorry. That is only for the extremely lucky or the relatively experienced. Your chances are even lower if you're not willing or able to write any custom code for it.

I expect that the number of released games in recent times that did not use any code can be counted on your hands - it's very hard to create a perfectly polished experience that way. That said, you can have a go using Unreal which allows you to do a lot with Blueprints alone. An interesting alternative is Godot, which more 'free' but has a much smaller community - it appears to have a visual scripting language but I know nothing about it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!