Hello!

Started by
5 comments, last by modeler8 4 years, 3 months ago

Hi! I am new to programming and want to know where I should learn basic game coding and the such. If you could help me, I'd be extremely grateful! 

Many Thanks,

UberedEngie

Advertisement

Hi and welcome,

your question probably belongs to the "Beginners" forum ...

... anyway, the question is far too general to be answered easily. Like, i want to build a house, how do i start ? So i say equally general, start learning to code C++ or C# with the help of a book or some sort of tutorial, or alternatively, start with a game engine, e.g. Unity, Unreal, or Godot.

But one thing is sure, "basic coding and such" will not suffice to make a game. As you learn to code, more specific questions will arise.

I wouldn't bother with books or classes.

Personally, I got a lot of help in the beginning by watching TheCherno's videos on YouTube, specifically his earlier series on how to make a simple RPG game in Java, and later his series on OpenGL and C++ when I started to learn about that. I don't recommend every decision he makes in terms of best practices or choice of tools etc, but I would recommend his YouTube content, because there is a lot of it, ranging from detailed code-along style video series', to more general discussions about game making and game engine making. I think it was really helpful for me just to listen to another programmer talk about his thought processes, and to see code being created start to finish in a video-series format.

My general advice for a new programmer is -

• Watch tutorials, lectures and talks, read articles and forums. Listen to smart people, don't believe people who say it's easy.
  • Copy things, change things, try to make it do different things, try to understand how it works. Spend long hours doing this.
  • Don't work harder than you need to. Do a search for problems before you attempt them. Look for questions on stack overflow. Find out what other people do, and use what already exists. 

In the end, my own journey led me to using game engines, which unless you're Jonathon Blow, is what I understand most indie game makers do if they want to complete something in less than a few years.

This web site contains tutorials for beginners: http://noobtuts.com/ It is not advertisement. The web site is really awesome.

Have someone explaining the basics is never a bad decision because most of the time you have simple questions that can be awnsered in a few seconds. I personally dislike video tutorials because I want my infos now and propably can skip topics in an article to what is of interest, this is my opinion on that topic.

I learned coding by doing rather than reading about it in theory, copying a piece of explained code from a book or an online tutorial and then trying to change behavior and see what happens. You might be another kind of student, have a look what you think to be most confident with and then start asking questions.

And if there isn't someone awnsering your questions and google dosen't help too, feel free to ask in this forum, someone (at least me, probably) will point you into the correct direction

pay for a good course

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement