Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keef

SkyBox. SkyDome

Hi, I am in the middle of putting together a skybox for my (openGL) game engine and need some advice. How the hell do I get rid of the ''seams'' where bitmaps don''t tile properly (ie they look like mismatched wall paper)? The engine has 6 degres of freedom, so all interior faces of the box have to match up. Is the only way around this to carefully set up your original texture maps to avoid this, or is there another trick that I am missing? If getting matched textures is the only option, does anyone have any handy links for these? Cheers Keef ----------------------- glDisable(WORK); glEnable(GL_CODING);

Set the textures wrap parameters to clamp like so:

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP);

Do you mean that you''re seeing a tiny edge (like a black line or something) or do you mean that your textures don''t tile properly? I think you mean the latter. I think people overlook the fact that good artwork makes the world go round, so to speak. Heck, that''s why people make Quake3 Renderers -- the artwork is already available and it''s top-notch.

There are some tricks you can employ to get textures to tile. One is to mirror alternate quads -- this doesn''t help the top or bottom quads, but presumably, these should be different from the horizon covering quads anyway. This may work or may not, depending on your image content. Another approach is a dissolve between the left and right edges (it''s a little complicated, but might work for cloudy images). Or you can just offset your image by a few hundred pixels and try to paint out the resulting line by hand. The edges (as long as you don''t paint on them) will remain tile-able.

As for premade artwork, I don''t know any.

Actually there are a lot of precreated skybox textures out there that have been created by the Quake/UT/Half life mod community.

You gotta love Google

Keef

-----------------------
glDisable(WORK);
glEnable(GL_CODING);