Dead MMORPGs

Started by
4 comments, last by IADaveMark 4 years, 5 months ago

When I was younger, I played AT LEAST 12 different MMORPGs (Think ToonTown, FusionFall, Runescape, etc.), but most of them are gone now. Why the decline in popularity? What type of MMORPG do you think it would take to be massively popular like the ones in the past?

Advertisement

A lot of that was the novelty of having online communities. Second Life and all that. People wanted to enter the future. Now that we've seen it, not so much.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

MMOs were also the first true "open world" games. Now that we have that in single player games, people are getting that "exploration" need fulfilled (without griefers).

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

World of Warcraft pretty much killed the market.  Nobody else can compete with Blizzard's enormous budget, the enormous amount of work that Blizzard already put into World of Warcraft, or World of Warcraft's enormous player base, so they're left competing on price or offering vastly different gameplay experiences.  New MMORPG players who can afford the monthly subscription fee end up in World of Warcraft sooner or later, players playing World of Warcraft have no need for another MMORPG on the side, and players leaving World of Warcraft tend to leave MMORPGs altogether.

The case has been made that WoW hasn't been a true MMORPG in a long time.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement