Managing Game as a product

Started by
8 comments, last by joe123 4 years, 4 months ago
I'm a software engineer and i have entered game development field (Unity) for the last couple of months .
I have made a couple of games on android using Unity that are only at concept stage now.
And i mean by concept stage , that i'm focusing only currently on game play , not graphics and levels and anything else now.
The games i have made are similar to (Color Switch) on mobile (The game has no levels , but gets harder with higher score or time).
I'm making games with least resources now then decide which game i should focus on after getting feedback from users.
I need guidance for the next steps that i should be doing.
Like for example should i focus on one game and expand it ? Should i publish and market all of these games with their current state then get feedback with the best game then focus on it ? Should i use ASO (app store optimization) now  ....etc
What i think i need is a game product manager , or an experienced indie game developer that can guide me what should i do for the next step.
For anyone who has experienced a state similar to mine , can you share with us some knowledge about how to manage a game in means of marketing and everything else (not code related) ?
To confirm my question , I'm not asking for example how to market my games , but i'm asking at which stage i should start marketing my games...etc
I know answering this question could be big , but i need just some guide lines for now.
Advertisement

I'm not an expert on marketing ... but I am a gamer and an indie o_O ... common sense tells me:

You get to have a "first impression" for your game only once. Let that sink in :D ...

The first few reviews will determine if ppl will bother with your game. Release it as "Early Access," (if on Steam) but you should be done with the game and you should test it a lot. You can expand with DLC or whatever, ... but ... ... do you give games with a low rating a chance? ... finish it. Then release it. Ask friends to test the alpha.

Don't focus on anything like optimisations, marketing etc. Just get it done with the help of your friends and family. Then optimize. Then think about marketing. Then release.

47 minutes ago, joe123 said:

how to manage a game in means of marketing and everything else (not code related) ?

You appear to be mostly asking about marketing. Marketing is a business matter, not a production matter. And you seem to be working alone, without a team? The question doesn't seem to be a management matter, so this thread is moving to the Business/Law forum, where many discussions around marketing are available for your perusal.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

16 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

You appear to be mostly asking about marketing. Marketing is a business matter, not a production matter. And you seem to be working alone, without a team? The question doesn't seem to be a management matter, so this thread is moving to the Business/Law forum, where many discussions around marketing are available for your perusal.

I'm asking more about "product" management which includes at some stage marketing , i want someone to draw for me a road map to when to market and when to make optimizations in the game and how to get feedback from many users at early development stages...etc

2 hours ago, joe123 said:

I'm asking more about "product" management

Okay. This forum (Business and Law) is the right place. While waiting for replies more helpful than mine, I recommend you read other threads here.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Okay. This forum (Business and Law) is the right place. While waiting for replies more helpful than mine, I recommend you read other threads here.

ok

21 hours ago, David Reschke said:

I'm not an expert on marketing ... but I am a gamer and an indie o_O ... common sense tells me:

You get to have a "first impression" for your game only once. Let that sink in :D ...

The first few reviews will determine if ppl will bother with your game. Release it as "Early Access," (if on Steam) but you should be done with the game and you should test it a lot. You can expand with DLC or whatever, ... but ... ... do you give games with a low rating a chance? ... finish it. Then release it. Ask friends to test the alpha.

Don't focus on anything like optimisations, marketing etc. Just get it done with the help of your friends and family. Then optimize. Then think about marketing. Then release.

The games i make are currently on Android , and i intend to release them free but with ads , so i think early access is not an option for me.

Do you know how to i make a road map or a strategy for  mobile games ?

Consider my games now at prototype stage , (or maybe even earlier stage) .

And i got some feedback from my friends whom liked most of my games.

But i don't know what's the next step.

Generally the point where you start showing it off is where it looks good relative to where you are showing it, but you still have some embarrassment because you know it has issues.

It is always relative to where you are showing it off. 

Sharing on a forum among other beginning developers the relative level is quite low, people expect to see extremely rough prototypes.  Sharing on more general forums the relatively level gets higher. By the time you're showcasing on paid advertisements the relative level is quite high as you're being compared against other polished commercial products.

You don't need perfection, a degree of embarrassment is okay, but you do need it to look good.

Also, marketing and launching generally should be based around a more comprehensive launch plan.  "Build it and they will come" is an amateur mistake.

frob said:

Generally the point where you start showing it off is where it looks good relative to where you are showing it, but you still have some embarrassment because you know it has issues.

It is always relative to where you are showing it off.

Sharing on a forum among other beginning developers the relative level is quite low, people expect to see extremely rough prototypes. Sharing on more general forums the relatively level gets higher. By the time you're showcasing on paid advertisements the relative level is quite high as you're being compared against other polished commercial products.

You don't need perfection, a degree of embarrassment is okay, but you do need it to look good.

Also, marketing and launching generally should be based around a more comprehensive launch plan. "Build it and they will come" is an amateur mistake.

Ok , so from what i concluded based on your reply and based on your article , you are suggesting that i focus on one game and that i start publishing it in Forums and get feedback from people.

Is that the very next step you are suggesting me to do ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement