For Devs who struggle to gain muscle weight and/or lose weight

Started by
17 comments, last by DividedByZero 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey Everyone! Hope you are having an amazing day! As Developers we run on a very busy schedule and that makes it hard sometimes to be able to devote some time to change our health and bodies. It is very difficult to find energy/motivation to exercise after having stared at the screen for hours, sitting. Also, there is a lot of information out there about diet/exercise that get people no where and leave them frustrated.

I'm currently trying to find out how I could fix these issues for IT Professionals and make gaining muscle and losing weight simpler.

I am about to start my own business as an online consulting coach on fitness. I want to help men gain muscle, lose fat and become more muscular in a body that they feel confident.

Which is why i have two very simple questions:

As someone very busy as you, are you experiencing issues with gaining weight / losing weight? if so what do you think are the two main issues you are dealing with ?

I am not promoting or selling anything only recommendations and constructive feedback

Thanks so much in advance Looking forward to reading your answers

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Jake Siso said:

I am about to start my own business as an online consulting coach on fitness.

You seem to think game developers need fitness coaching. Out of curiosity, which other online communities are you targeting for your focus research?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

3 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

You seem to think game developers need fitness coaching. Out of curiosity, which other online communities are you targeting for your focus research?

I don't assume anything man, I think anyone can benefit from becoming healthier/fitter. I'm targeting developers because I'm a developer myself and can relate to other devs better and believe that I'm in a good place to help them achieve their goals. As with any demographic, some people will have issues and some won't.

What do you see different about gd as from other "groups" of people? (I am asking seriosly guessing something, pls tell)

2 minutes ago, JohnnyCode said:

What do you see different about gd as from other "groups" of people? (I am asking seriosly guessing something, pls tell)

I will tell you what. There is some convergence as developer as a whole I would say. As Devs, we are sedentary, stare at the screen most of the time, we are not the most active bunch, our hobbies are likely to be sedentary as well and we don't want to spend so much time exercising. We are more likely to snack while sitting in front of a computer, coding. I also think that it is mentally draining to work all day and difficult to find motivation/desire to go exercise. Of course these are just generalizations and won't apply to everyone but there is definitely some differences compared to other groups. If you disagree, you are more than welcome to.

6 minutes ago, fleabay said:

But the solution is the same for everybody.

the action might be the same but the solution is not. You need to deal with the challenges that particular person has. Maybe they have an individual dietary preferences that they need to subscribe to. Maybe their coworkers are bringing snacks all the time, hard to resist. Maybe, they don't have as much time to exercise or would prefer not to. I'm going to stop replying now as I haven't even gotten a single useful reply. Thank you for your input regardless

I'm not sure what kind of reply you're looking for. If someone wants to change their life style then they need to make that choice on their own. In my experience people who are not living healthy lifestyles don't usually make that change unless they've hit a stage where they 'must', or they've turned a new leaf through self reflection and have enough discipline to alter their day to day living. This is why you see the gyms and fitness centres full right after New Years, and a few months later many of those people are back to their same old routine.

The "I have no time" excuse is largely bs.... People will make time for what matters to them the most. Years ago I used to be a gym rat and tried to drag my friends along with me... They used that same excuse as they sat in front of the boob-tube for 4+ hours a day.

If you're going to make a business out of this then I wouldn't just target IT professionals... Promote yourself in whatever way you see fit and work on generating a list of reasons why anyone would pick you over the vast amount of other fitness and health coaches. You also have to sell yourself as these businesses run on trust and personal relationships with your clients (this is why a large amount of new business comes from referrals as well).

My old friend ran a gym about 10 years ago and he wasn't selling something unique in terms of eating right and workout routines... but he was very personable and was good at gradually building up good habits and routines, plus keeping his clients accountable and motivated while helping them reach their lifestyle goals by creating plans tailored at an individual level.

At the end of the day you cannot help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves.

Best wishes with your venture.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Where I work we have a full gym... I admit that I don't use it as I should, but I do use it. However, the other guys do not so I think @Rutin nailed it on the head with his reply and that's about the best answer you're going to get. You can't change things that aren't into changing (I believe Blue October sang that). People are who they are and people's priorities change over time. Not sure how an online fitness coach would benefit, but best wishes on your venture from here as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement