Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does Power Render support?

This topic is 5851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m currently evaluating the power render trial, and from all the current affordable 3d game engines, this one wins hands down. The problem is though, with all these features, what exactly is the minimum spec machinethat it works with? I had no problems running all the examples except for the cube mapping one which had a CreateSurface error and the pixel/vertex shaders which didn''t work. I''m not sure what target machine I should aim for as the minimum spec. Is there a default software rendering mode? My PC specs are:- Windows 98 -Duron 950mhz -Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro2 (Doesn''t this allow any vertex/pixel shading?) -512MB ram So, will a Power Render game be compatible with my machine? How about lower spec celeron400, voodoo 3500? Any help would be appreciated.

The kyro2 doesn''t have hardware T&L. I imagine it should still support vertex shaders (not pixel shaders) in software, but I guess not.

I''ve tested PR on all kinds of machines.

On the low end I have some 300 to 400 mhz systems with graphics cards like the Voodoo3 and Intel on-board chipsets and have found no problems except for some texture anomolies caused by graphics card restrictions.

Midrange I have a 500mhz system with a Voodoo5. This machine runs extremely well with jittery framerates being the only complaint.

On the high-end I have an 800mhz system with a Radeon 64DDR VIVO, a dual 450mhz with a geForce2 Ultra, and a AthlonXP 1900+ with a geForce3 Ti500. These all run any PR application you can throw at them without complaint.

One thing to note is that PR does run on ATi Rage PRO chipsets, but most of the time there are no textures and the framerates are less than one a second. Personnally this doesn''t bother me at all, people shouldn''t be running games on a Rage PRO anyway.

-Rich

PsycoBlade, your saying I could make a game with bump mapping, cube mapping and vertex/pixel shading, and it can still run OK on a low spec machine? Cool.

I don''t think Kyro2 has vertex shading in software since when I run the example I get a flashing orange screen. The pixel shading one just says it had an error but still displays the cube, so I''m not sure.

BTW what''s with all those high end machines you''ve got? did you have an early christmas?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Garott
PsycoBlade, your saying I could make a game with bump mapping, cube mapping and vertex/pixel shading, and it can still run OK on a low spec machine? Cool.

I don''t think Kyro2 has vertex shading in software since when I run the example I get a flashing orange screen. The pixel shading one just says it had an error but still displays the cube, so I''m not sure.

BTW what''s with all those high end machines you''ve got? did you have an early christmas?

Well, you could have bump mapping, etc. on a low end machine if the graphics board supports it sure. What is nice about Power Render is that it automatically downgrades if something isn''t available, so you don''t usually have to worry about it crashing on systems that don''t support a certain feature.

The ATi Rage PRO has a few flavors. They consist of 4mb and 8mb cards with different clock speeds and features.

-Rich