Rubber video memory

Started by
3 comments, last by Halloween 22 years, 4 months ago
Ok, I am creating a bunch of textures, and place them all to the video memory (with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT flag). I have 32 Mb of video card memory and 64 Mb of AGP memory - total amount is 96 Mb. But the summary size of created and used for rendering every frame textures is something about 130 Mb. How could it all fit in the video memory? It is obviously more then is possible to place there, and it is clearly explained in the DirectX documentation, that D3DPOOL_DEFAULT allocates resource in the video memory.
Advertisement
What the heck are you doing that takes 130mb of video ram?

Moe''s site
If you want D3D to manage your textures, D3DPOOL_MANAGED.

xyzzy
Perhaps texture compression on the card? (just guessing)
Is it running at speeds that make you think it's not swapping out of virtual memory?

Recheck stuff and recheck it again (esp sizes of stuff)
-Mike

Edited by - thr33d on December 11, 2001 8:14:31 PM
Moe: I do nothing that I really believe will take place in the engine, just experimenting and trying to figure things out.

xyzzy00: I didn''t want D3D to manage my textures, so I didn''t use the D3DPOOL_MANAGED. I wanted to allocate a lot of texture space in _video_ memory and look at the results. It seems that D3D at least managed my non-managed textures

Thr33d: Rechecked. And then again. Still 130 Mb of textures in "video memory". I just guess that maybe D3D turns it''s behaviour to the D3DPOOL_MANAGED style, when it realizes that no more textures can be allocated in the video memory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement