Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with Javascript!

This topic is 5844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do I make it so when you click on an image it places text into a messagebox? For example, I am modifing my forums and I want to make it so when you click a smiley it places the text needed to be entered to get that smiley. Go here.... http://www.shawnscomputers.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=17&threadid=6567 for a better idea of what I am trying to do.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You need to set an whenclickedon handler of some kind - whether through the document object or through a link - the document object might be a better approach to take since the target form will likely be more easily accessible that way as well - that is assuming that by ''message box'' you mean a form element. Once you have the clicker going, transfer what ever text you want to the form or if you would rather a ''message box'' just use Confirm or one of the associated calls to instance a built in popup.

In your java-script code, create a function that passes a value to the form element:

function handlevalue(val) {
document.nameofform.nameoftextbox.value = val;
}

Then in the form, have the picture you want the user to click on
with the link and add java-script:handlevalue('value here') to the a href tag.

Example:
<.a href="java-script:handlevalue('value here')"><.img src="urlofpic"><./a>

Of course, take out the periods and the hyphen in java-script..

Eh.. some of that might be wrong.. I'm a little rusty on my scripting.. for more info check out http://www.htmlgoodies.com

-Bug
/*********************************
* Message board: POS.COM Forum   *
*********************************/

Edited by - BugTilaheH on December 11, 2001 5:38:31 PM