Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] Anyone using GameFrame4Java?

This topic is 5844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I am... rather new to java and 2d programming so I thought to keep things simple. Well anyway I can''t get GameFrame work as an applet... if I type appletviewer SpeedTest.html it works, but not on a web server... I have tried to "jar"(jar cvf SpeedTest.jar *.*) everything into one file and type this in the html file or But explorer allways says can''t find SpeedTest.class And I can''t figure out why... =(

The Applet support in GF4J is preliminary. But are you sure you include ALL the needed files in the JAR? This means that you should place the GF4J library also inside this JAR you make for your own class.

-

Pasi Keränen

javanerd@geocities.com

Jupp I have both the gameframe and the com folder in the jar file... But I''m not making a applet anyway but it would be fun if worked...
Got another question... gf4j runs rather slow on all but jkd1.4 beta 2... why?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Näkyyhän täällä suomalaisiakin.
Ja vielä moderaattoriksi päässyt.

quote:
Original post by Darklight_
Got another question... gf4j runs rather slow on all but jkd1.4 beta 2... why?

You mean it runs slow on everything else but the JDK 1.4? Well you should note that JDK 1.4 is the first JDK that has any real support for 2D game graphics. All the other JDK''s can be made to run 2D graphics even pretty well, but their graphics pipelines are more aimed at "real" software developers with totally different needs from a game programmer.

When I started GF4J project I first meant it to allow users to use Microsoft Java extensions (especially DirectX), but still allow their code to run on plain Java VM''s from Sun. I know many of you would shun away from such horrible idea, but MS Java was a while back the best choice for programming games with Java. Now the situation is actually changing so that JDK 1.4 from Sun is THE platform to develop on and everything else is included as fallback net.

Also many developers have started developing their games on GF4J ages ago and are just now starting to move to JDK 1.4. So GF4J works both ways: it gives developers head start to new features like the fullscreen mode and it gives users possibility to run the game without having to upgrade their Java runtime.

You might ask how can your game made with GF4J run in such differently behaving JVM''s, but that is one of the challenges when you start programming games with Java. You must understand that Java VM''s are available on hugely varying platforms and your game can''t rely on e.g. having constant 60FPS refresh rate. You''ll have to code your game anyhow to react to the speed of the system it is running on.