[java] Am I paranoid or is MSIE screwing me

Started by
8 comments, last by GKW 22 years, 4 months ago
I tried to install the 1.3.1_01a jre just for kicks last night and now I can''t even view applets of any kind. After the install it complained about 1.3.1 plugin and how a registry key is missing or bad. I then erased any mention of the plugin from the registry and reinstalled the _01a jre. It still complained that I was missing a key. I then dl''ed the older 1.3.1 jre and installed it to repair the key. Applets didn''t work at all then. I had to deactivate applets in IE in order to fix the situation. I then got both jre''s installed and turned applets back on in IE. Only problem is that applets won''t turn back on. THe box is checked only every applet says Java is disabled. Any ideas on what the deal is? The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster. --EM Cioran Opere Citato
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Advertisement
Hey, GKW!

I''m sorry. I won''t be able to help you. I just wanted to let you know that I am having the same problem. I''m using 1.3.1, and I can''t run any applets in Internet Explorer 5.

My applets run in my IDE, and on other people''s computers. But I haven''t been able to get them running on my machine. What a pain in the neck, huh?

Good luck! I hope you get it worked out.

Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
Hmmm, weird. Why don''t you guys try to reinstall IE? Most of the time it works(not always).

Sand Hawk

Member of the Stupid Coders.
http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Wow, a way to permanently disable applets?!? How did you do that again?
I uninstalled both plugins last night and applets turned back on again. Does anyone out there have the new 1.3.1_01a plugin working after they had a previous plugin installed? If so did you uninstall the previous plugin before installing the new plugin?

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
it works just dandy here, so have you installed all service packs and stuff? and perhaps you should upgrade to atleast 5.5, if not 6.

_______________________ http://mill.3dfxsweden.net
I''ve actually had a problem similar to that anytime I tried running file from the command line. It would give an error to me about a registry key being missing.
I fixed it by searching my system for all Java.exe and javac.exe files. I renamed all of them to .bak files except the ones in my jdk folder that was pointed to by my environment variables. Then everything worked fine.
You''ll find several copies on your system. Including in your windows folder and in the folder for your IDE as well.

Let me know if this helps.

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
I will give that a when I get home from work. I am running IE6 on w2ksp2. Other than the occasional crash for unknown reasons I have been pretty happy with IE6. I love the cookie management. I installed 1.3.1_01a on a win98se machine and had no problems but that was after, yet another, reinstall of 98se.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato
Ive had the same prob and it was solved what u need is the jdk1.3.1 html convertor i think forgot the link but its on the java site what u do is create the standard html file with the usuall html tags and calls to your applet then run the html convertor on the html files then reload them and done :D

I finally said forget you clown. Maybe when 1.4 gets out of beta I will give it a go again. The html converter works just fine what I wanted to try was 1.3.1_01a''s ability to run applet tags.

--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement